Complete France Forum

New Social Charges on Foreign Earnings & Pensions in France

Clair

A potential minefield there I think. It seems to hinge, at least in part, on whether CSG/CRDS is a social security payment or a tax. France seems to have decided that it's a social security payment. And how does it affect those with dual fiscal residence? That should be determined by the double taxation agreement, but the new one is still not in force, as far as I know, and on first reading of the newsletter is apparently not catered for in the existing, old, agreement. Of course, tax and social security are different animals, so why should one who pays tax and social secirity elsewhere but still 'enjoys' French fiscal residence, have to pay this extra charge on income earned overseas?

Not quite sure what GP is on about, the article clearly refers to social charges being levied on foreign earned income, but unless you live in France and do work in the UK has no immediate relevence.  However, what is of interest is the other article that is linked about whether private pensions of those living in France below state retirement age should be also subject to sociale charges, the status quo is that they are not, although quite why not has never been clear.

The possibility of the application of sociale charges to "government pensions" is ruled out at the moment as these are taxed in the UK.

What I don't understand is why recipients of these "government pensions" and those in possession of an E121 form should have been advised not to complete French tax returns, but that is another issue.[8-)] 

Archived