Complete France Forum

Skipping off to the UK.

Bannon

This is going to be tempting for some so needs to be aired I reckon.

How much clout I wonder do the French tax and bank organisations have if people skip off back to the UK to avoid debt. I'm thinking along the lines of  loans, overdrafts, and tax owed. I did read somewhere that when selling your house here, the notaire has to check on such things? Also, I presume that it's much like the UK where a claim can be made on your house.

I hope answers and advice given here will prevent folks getting into even deeper water - not that I'm thinking of going for a paddle myself! 

[quote user="Bannon"]

This is going to be tempting for some so needs to be aired I reckon.

How much clout I wonder do the French tax and bank organisations have if people skip off back to the UK to avoid debt. I'm thinking along the lines of  loans, overdrafts, and tax owed. I did read somewhere that when selling your house here, the notaire has to check on such things? Also, I presume that it's much like the UK where a claim can be made on your house.

I hope answers and advice given here will prevent folks getting into even deeper water - not that I'm thinking of going for a paddle myself! 

[/quote]

I have not found information on debts to banks but as most french banks have branches or correspondent banks in the UK I assume they would take action through the UK courts.

As for taxes ,since 2006 under mutual assistance arrangements, UK and French tax authorities have powers to exchange information regarding taxpayers,  and to seize documents , and to recover taxes ,on each others behalf.

Archived