Complete France Forum

BBC IPlayer

Am sure that many people have used this when in the Uk to catch up on missed programmes, but will also know that it cannot be used when outside of the UK.

I have come across a website:

https://my-private-network.co.uk

that purports to allow people connecting to the internet from outside of the UK to channel their connection via a UK hub that allows, for £5 per month, access to BBC IPlayer and other such services wherever they are!

I have looked up their company details at Companies House on the web and the company was only started in March this year.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it a scam? Is it reliable? Any disadvantages in allowing your internet connection to pass through a UK hub?

I doubt if its a "scam" as such, but the cyncal side of me wonders how effective it would be.

Is the guy running a couple of PC`s sitting in his living room, or is it a better set-up with a lot of bandwidth? because the latter would be very expensive, and if its the former, once his subscription numbers get into double figures or thereabouts, Id imagine the service would slow to an unwatchable crawl.

I have no idea what FAI or HADOPI is about.

I have no idea how to set this up myself

This is NOT not my web site nor do I have any connection to it.

I found it on the Daily Telegraph website when I was looking at an article and this website address was shown as a Google advert.

You guys are all too clever for me.............or pretend to be.............I was merely looking for some helpful advice. Hey Ho.

FAI is the Fournisseur Accès Internet: the business (such as Orange or Free etc) who supplies your Internet connection..

This is the French term, which might be useful to know for anyone with an Internet connection in France

The law HADOPI was passed on the 12th May, having previously been rejected on the 9th April. ( rather rudimentary translation)

I suggest you read the article in the link above. It may not make you as clever as I pretend to be, but it could make you better informed..

My point was that since the way the iPlayer works is something akin to P2P networks, it could appear to your supplier (who under this law has the duty to watch over your Internet activities) that you are doing something illegal.

In fact it could be argued that someone who watches BBC programmes in France without having a licence is breaking copyright, but that's a different can of worms.

I was asking (because I am not a technical expert)  if watching via the iPlayer, (using a proxy)  could look as if you were downloading.

Remember that the final penalty of illegal downloads is a fine plus a year's ban from Internet access.

I apologise if this is not helpful

[quote user="NormanH"]In fact it could be argued that someone who watches BBC programmes in France without having a licence is breaking copyright, but that's a different can of worms.[/quote]

We do have licences though. Money might not go to the Beeb, but it still goes into the "system". The "systems" is still the "system" whatever label the men in suits put on it.

R.

There is no connection between copyright and the payment of a licence fee, anywhere. The Beebs problem is that their operating licence specifically forbids them from broadcasting outside their territory - both in copyright and transmission terms. Hence the block on o/seas IPs.

The internet is (allegedly) more heavily policed than the "airwaves" - hence the reference to the French statute - the UK one is pretty much the same.

I know nothing about the tecchie ways of trying to circumvent the system, I just know I can't use it.

I get very annoyed every time the IPlayer adverts pop up on the TV - shouldn't they have to put in a disclaimer about not being able to access it from certain IPs, like car insurance adverts used to say 'not available in N Ireland'?

What about those who pay a BBC licence fee, but can't 'catch up' when they are at their French second home? Maybe someone should take up the issue with the Advertising Standards Authority www.asa.org.uk ?

[quote user="Polly"]I get very annoyed every time the IPlayer adverts pop up on the TV - shouldn't they have to put in a disclaimer about not being able to access it from certain IPs, like car insurance adverts used to say 'not available in N Ireland'?[/quote]

Why should they, UK Tv officially should not be viewable outside the UK boundaries as their licences do not permit it.

[quote user="Polly"]What about those who pay a BBC licence fee, but can't 'catch up' when they are at their French second home? Maybe someone should take up the issue with the Advertising Standards Authority www.asa.org.uk ?[/quote]

The ASA would not be interested as they are not doing anything wrong. The BBC licence only covers the UK, the same as the French licence covers only France.

Baz

• 2 weeks later...

Archived