Complete France Forum

Bank Charges

Just Katie

I hope someone can help me here.  My son got in a bit of a mess with his bank account.  He thought that he had 200€ credit instead of 200€ debit (due to charges) and spent even more money.  He then had a good bonus/back pay and banked 1000€ two months ago.  When he banked the cheque, the cashier helped him before taking the cheque from him.  Then, yesterday and out of the blue, the cheque has been sent back to him as the back is not signed.  He is now dreading seeing his statement with the charges which have been incurred since then.

What stance to banks normally take against this kind of situation with regards to waiving charges?

Hi,

If you ask ,your bank may allow you an agreed overdraft facility ("decouvert"); it will probably be quite small depending on youraverage account balance, but can cover the unexpected small cheques which sometimes pop up at the end of the month. The interest rate is reasonable(around 13%)--provided you only use it to cover emergency shortfalls ,and don't start to live on it.

Archived