Complete France Forum

France or UK?

woolybanana

A distant family member, one of the Plantain branch, who lives in the West Indies has decided to return to Europe to settle as an early retiree but he is is hesitating between UK and France, largely on cost grounds. He has asked me to advise him but to be honest I am hopelessly out of date on UK matters. So, could some of you who can make comparisons please advise on the basis the following information: Given a monthly income of €1000-€1500 or £1000-£1500 generated from State pension and investments, and a modest, two bedroomed home (paid for) in a semi-rural area of France or UK, in which country would a single chap be likely to be best off financially, bearing in mind local and national taxes, cost of daily living, health cover and any other fixed outgoings. Way of life modest, can take or leave baked beans if in UK or the French equivalent?

Help appreciated please.

[quote user="Bugbear"]In our situation we would be eligible for income support

[/quote]You amaze me, Bugs.  My mother earns far less than the amounts quoted by the wooly fruit and is not eligible for any income support or extra payments above and beyond her old age pension, winter fuel allowance, and a free TV license as she is over 80.

Archived