Complete France Forum

Teleconnect Fiasco - Now check your Bank Statement!!!

Nell

With the on-going teleconnect problems I was not in a particularly good humor yesterday, but what has finally tipped me over the edge, is the fact that when I checked my bank account I had been charged 10.20 euro to "set up a direct debit". Phoned the bank and told them I could not recall setting up a new direct debit, so could they please tell me what this charge was for..... "Yes Madam - It is for a new direct debit set-up for a company called Budget Telecom".

The bottom line - Teleconnect has changed their name to Budget Telecom. In doing so all their bank account numbers have changed, which means, when they ask the bank for the direct debit payment, the bank takes this to be a new direct debit and charges for the privelage......

The banks attitude - Sorry, it's a standard bank charge, talk to Teleconnect

Teleconnect I assume will say (obviously can't get through to them) - It's a bank charge, nothing to do with us

- Catch 22

Just a thought - How much money has the banks made from this little exercise? There must be lots of direct debits out their for Teleconnect or should I now say Budget Telecom

I'm CA too and yes Ernie I agree there should have been a mandate, that was one of my arguments with the bank on Friday.

I discoverd this late Friday afternoon, so there was not much to be done, but starting Monday I will be on the warpath [:)]

I know 10 euro is not a King's Ransom but it's the flamin' principal and I just Hate being ripped off.....

This doesn't make sense, legally or logically.

If it really is "a new direct debit" then the bank has no mandate from you to honour it; it would require a new authorization.  Otherwise any direct debit mandate could be used for any company anywhere, which is absurd.

But anyway, even if the "new" mandate is valid - which I don't believe - there's no justification for making the customer pay for creating it. 

I've found a debit of €11.16 on my statement (Banque Postale) with no details, but obviously it could be the same thing.  If it is, I promise I will challenge it.

[quote user="allanb"]But anyway, even if the "new" mandate is valid - which I don't believe - there's no justification for making the customer pay for creating it.[/quote]

Most banks in France charge to set-up a DD, except for utilities like EDF and FT.

For instance, this is what CANMP mention on their tariff leaflet:

[quote]

2. Les prélèvements  

Mise en place d’une autorisation de prélèvement :

- Cas général 10 €
  - Exceptions : nous consulter Gratuit
Paiement de chaque prélèvement Gratuit
[/quote]

I  have dealt with two banks in France: first the Banque Populaire Occitane and now the Banque Postale.  Neither of them has ever tried to charge me for a DD.  I don't have the BPO details any more, but the Banque Postale explicitly states that setting up a DD, and making the payments, are free of charge.

I'm not disputing what you say, just wondering which is "normal" and which is the exception. 

[quote user="allanb"]I'm not disputing what you say, just wondering which is "normal" and which is the exception. 

[/quote]

With both Banq Pop and La Poste I think it depends on whether you pay a monthly charge for your account. If you choose the very basic 'free' option then you might be charged for add-ons such as DDs.

Sue

One of the main problems with teleconnect has been their ineptitude where bills are concerned. I started using them when I moved to France in Sept 2007 and they are still paying catch-up with their monthly bills. I have paid 2 out in March alone, when querying this with them I get the same old answer, that this bill is for this month or that month etc. I don't know what they are playing at. As for the OP getting an unsolicited DD , get on to them tomorrow and lets all wait and see what the upshot will be. Keep us posted Nell!

tuppence

I've discovered that I don't have the problem.

I was a bit slow to think of this, but in spite of the name change you can still access your account and see your invoices on line at www.teleconnect.fr.  So I did, and it turns out that the amount of the D/D is my February invoice (which never arrived on paper).

Of course I'm glad to know this but I'm sorry it doesn't help the OP. 

Guess what - I couldn't get through today - Tried twice this morning. Had to try via FT as my phone line is still goosed.... But didn't try this afternoon because, when I switched box back on (got to disconnect to use FT) it took over an hour each time to get the internet back. Strange but true [8-)]

I tried 3 times today as well, continually engaged. No point sending e-mails either , it takes days to respond. Why do you have to disconnect for FT line? I just press the hash key twice and it takes me on to FT directly. But my line has stayed on for over a week now which in itself is a miracle. All lights on come the morning. Seems we are winning on some things and losing bigtime on others. My phone line is still "goosed" as you say.

tuppence

Got through to TC today to question Direct debit charges (I've given up on the telephone/internet problems !! )

Explained about being charged for a new direct debit set up..... Answer " No problem - just hold on a second while I credit 10.20 euro to your TC account"

Wow - I didn't even have to argue [:-))]

As for connection - they told me it will be okay by Thursday [blink] ( I nearly asked which Thursday, but kept the mouth firmly shut as I'd just got some money back......

By the way, for anyone else out there who needs to get their DD money refunded - Phone Customer Services not Technical Support

[quote user="Nell"](got to disconnect to use FT)[/quote]You do not need to disconnect to use the FT line direct.

In the box in which the router came you should have had some adapters which will allow you to plug in a telephone directly. On the instruction leaflet they are items 4 (for a standard 3 pin French telephone plug, and item 8 for the smaller RJ11 plug. With either of those you will be able to use the FT line irrespective of the state of the router.

Thanks for the info ErnieY.... To be honest we are in the midst of a major renovation at the minute and all excess stuff is in storage. The box of bits from the router is in there somewhere, but where is anybodies guess[blink]

I keep telling myself things will be back to normal soon / soonish / maybe in a few days / after Easter ....... [:'(]

Archived