Complete France Forum

Maximum of euros you are allowed to carry in cash

wendy

On 17 April 2007, andyh4 mentioned in a reply to a forum post, that the maximum cash you were permitted to carry in France was 7,500 euros.  Apologies if I have missed an update to this (I have done a search but have only found that 2007 post) but does anyone know if this is still the upper limit, or has it been increased in the last two years?

Thanks!

There is no maximum limit to the amount of cash you can carry in France - just the size of your suitcase....[:P]

There is no limit to the amount of cash you can bring into France, but if you are coming from outside the EU, then everything over 10,000€ must be declared.  Once you've got it here, you can only spend it 3,000€ at a time.

wendy, common sense suggests that this will be limited only by the size of 2 suitcases + a backpack that you can carry and whether you are strong enough for the load. Bearing in mind the restrictions on daily/weekly cash withdrawals such quantities would take a long time to accumulate.

I am reasonably sure that this is not the answer you wanted in which case what do you really want to know ? 

John

Whilst these regulations are well intentioned to reduce money laudering (or to make sure that appropriate governments get their tax wedge) they only seem to apply to the law abiding citizen. The more organised the crime, the whiter the wash will be.  I'm sure there is an enormous underclass economy where cash is, and always will be, King.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that the OP is doing anything dodgy but just to point out that these rules can get in the way of honest folk from time to time.

Thanks for the responses.  All I wanted to know was the legal limit.  I know there is one, because I was once asked by a French border official whether I was carrying more than it was at the time - I hasten to confirm that I certainly wasn't, I only had about 500 euros.   Whilst it would be daft to take the risk of carrying thousands in cash on one's person while travelling, it is still something I had never thought of before, the idea of a legal limit to how much cash you can carry, and I find it helpful to know the limit, even if I would never be likely to reach it.

[quote user="wendy"]

Thanks for the responses.  All I wanted to know was the legal limit.  I know there is one, because I was once asked by a French border official whether I was carrying more than it was at the time - I hasten to confirm that I certainly wasn't, I only had about 500 euros.   Whilst it would be daft to take the risk of carrying thousands in cash on one's person while travelling, it is still something I had never thought of before, the idea of a legal limit to how much cash you can carry, and I find it helpful to know the limit, even if I would never be likely to reach it.

[/quote]

No, wendy, you don't know there is one for carrying cash in France The incident to which you refer concerned bringing money into France.

So which is it that you want to know, in or into ?

John

Apologies.  You are correct - I should have distinguished 'in' from 'into'; they are in fact two separate questions and I have ineptly confused them.  Sorry to have caused annoyance.  

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

There is no maximum limit to the amount of cash you can carry in France - just the size of your suitcase....[:P]

There is no limit to the amount of cash you can bring into France, but if you are coming from outside the EU, then everything over 10,000€ must be declared.  Once you've got it here, you can only spend it 3,000€ at a time.

[/quote]

Can someone tell my wife this >>>

Dave

Archived