Complete France Forum

Six Years - And Still No Inheritance

Sal

I shall try to keep this simple. I live in the UK. My mother died 6 years ago in France. My sister also lived with her there and has remained in the house since. She has failed to settle the succession. French tax authorities have levied huge fines on both of us and you would think she had no other option but to cooperate, - but no. She’s not answering the notarie’s messages and he’ plans to visit her this week with no expectation of seeing her. I have also a French lawyer in the UK.

Any thoughts/advice would be welcomed.

I sympathise with your situation, but if a notaire and a UK solicitor haven't settled this within 6 years, then I am baffled. Was your mother the owner of the house, does your sister speak French, do you? Was this your mother's only home? Any bank accounts should have been frozen at the time.  What does the French notaire propose, you should ask him or her what the next steps are should your sister refuse the visit.  There are legal solutions to this, which the notaire would already be aware of, notably the 2 cases at the end of this document (use google or deepl to translate if necessary)

https://avocatcazals.com/debloquer-succession-quand-heritier-ne-repond-pas/#:~:text=La solution se trouve au,pour exercer ses droits patrimoniaux.