Complete France Forum

Olive Oil (not Pop-Eye's wife either)

There has been a problem with Olive oil fraud for a while, for example people on markets selling cheap Spanish oil in their own bottles and pretending it is local, but with rocketing prices this is becoming a serious problem. In my little corner of 'real' France there are still  local producers (just about) but beware of what you buy and in particular what  you pay!  https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/29/olive-oil-fraud-mislabelling-cases-record-high-eu

27 minutes ago, betise said:

I remember seeing a report about this years ago, along with savon de Marseille, both purporting to be the real thing, but tests revealed otherwise.

True, but with prices going up so much and production going down because of drought and a virus in some countries olive oil is becoming a prime target for fraud.

If you think your your tinned tomatoes with an Italian name come from Italy…think again.

If you think something is ´made in France ´ think again.

Your French car….is not French.

It is not just local….its at all levels of society.

If you buy a Mazda car…the chances are that it is made in Japan and it will work.

Round my way every villager used to have a their own small olive grove. However, in the last couple of years the prices charged by the mills have gone up exponentially and it's no longer cost effective to produce your own oil.  The trees have either been cut down or dug up to be sold to garden centres. Such a shame

A medium-sized bottle of my regular brand of olive oil in Sainsbury's is around £10 !

On a recent trip to a French supermarket, where I thought it might be a bit cheaper, just the same prices. It's a real luxury item now.

13 minutes ago, Loiseau said:

A medium-sized bottle of my regular brand of olive oil in Sainsbury's is around £10 !

On a recent trip to a French supermarket, where I thought it might be a bit cheaper, just the same prices. It's a real luxury item now.

About the same price as two bottles of wine, but I bet the olive oil last longer.

• Haha 1