Complete France Forum

What do you think of the French two-round voting system?

menthe

I like it!  Concentrates minds and efforts and gives people a chance to change their minds, vote with their hearts etc.

Would that we had two rounds for Brexit!

26 minutes ago, menthe said:

I like it!  Concentrates minds and efforts and gives people a chance to change their minds, vote with their hearts etc.

Would that we had two rounds for Brexit!

Good points.

Brexit would never have happened with a second round of voting methinks.

In terms of the French vote…..I still think/hope people will change their mind but maybe Macron has just pî55ed people off soo much that they want to put a final nail into his coffin of what has been a sh#t presidency. If that means FN then so be it.

OH voted Ensemble and she detests Macron to his core. But she is not stupid. FN or the Melllychon left wing nutters will finish France forever.

I heard one French commentator said today that "The French hate the President for whom they have voted" and that that has always been the case!!  All presidents apparently become hugely unpopular.

Make of that what you will.  Is it buyer remorse or simply that the French are a bit schizophrenic???

18 hours ago, menthe said:

"The French hate the President for whom they have voted" and that that has always been the case!!  All presidents apparently become hugely unpopular.

Seems correct to me.  We remember watching M Holland winning.  The people looked to be witnessing the second coming by the joy they expressed.  By the end our neighbours were calling him "M Tête de pomme de terre"

All the presidents since I have been here have been hugely disliked by the end on their tenure, Sarkozy, Holland, Macron were hated even. I think that only Chirac may have scraped through with dislike but also some admiration (imagine gallic shrug here).

• 3 weeks later...

In the second round I had the choice between the Maire's wife who was the sitting RN Deputé, the official replacement RN candidate ( as MLP didn't think that the Maire's wife was extreme enough) or LFI. Not one 'moderate' candidate was in the running.

In the end the official RN got in with 41% in front of the Maire's wife, which means that a total of 71% of those who voted had chosen the RN..

e