Complete France Forum

What price French nationality?

19 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

In my part of ‘Real France’ nobody cares where you are from and most seem to embrace all different nationalities. So many languages are spoken in our local Lidl…I can’t keep up. In fact, I don’t know what language to learn. 

The whole FN thing….I hate immigrants…comes from rural France….which is bizarre because they have no immigrants.

Apart from the British….because they are only stupid enough to live there.

Ha Ha.

Well in my part of Real France views are polarised. On the one hand you've got the rag-bag of 'French'...nearly all 2nd or 3rd generation descendants of Spanish and Italian immigrants, who vote RN as a matter of principle. Then there are the 'stupid' Brits who are vociferously horrified by the apparent  popularity of the extreme right but mostly can't vote here anyway.

Should you care to acquire some facts, towns like Tonneins, Agen and Marmande  have quite high proportions of, respectively, N. Africans and Portugese (tabac and building industries), N. Africans (agriculture) and in Marmande I'm not sure what they do but there are a lot of them.

Just as in UK 30 years ago, the latest addition to the mix are Eastern europeans.

Quite what all that has to do with French nationality escapes me, but at least you got a response to the wind-up 😂

On 30/06/2024 at 09:12, Noisette said:

Well in my part of Real France views are polarised. On the one hand you've got the rag-bag of 'French'...nearly all 2nd or 3rd generation descendants of Spanish and Italian immigrants, who vote RN as a matter of principle. Then there are the 'stupid' Brits who are vociferously horrified by the apparent  popularity of the extreme right but mostly can't vote here anyway.

Should you care to acquire some facts, towns like Tonneins, Agen and Marmande  have quite high proportions of, respectively, N. Africans and Portugese (tabac and building industries), N. Africans (agriculture) and in Marmande I'm not sure what they do but there are a lot of them.

Just as in UK 30 years ago, the latest addition to the mix are Eastern europeans.

Quite what all that has to do with French nationality escapes me, but at least you got a response to the wind-up 😂

Nice to read some facts. Here in Béziers you could add Turkish and Middle eastern to the list but it makes an uneasy mix with  the large 'pied noir' contingent, one of whom is the Maire.

• Thanks 1

We have (at the last estimate) 60 ROM camps in and around Nantes.  One of the biggest in France is a few kms from where we live (we cycle near it most weeks).  They are here as some of them can find work in the fields and greenhouses that proliferate the countryside. (There are many other reasons too, less legal perhaps).

The Nantes council announced this week that they intend to clear the biggest one and offer more dignified housing (at public expense €12,000,000 per year) for those who do not want to return to Romania.  

They did not arrive yesterday ! Despite all the rhetoric about immigrants etc, the authorities have tolerated this system for years.  Presumably the price of all the veg, salad etc that is grown here depends on its competitivity of it price - helped by cheap non documented labour.

We passed another site being cleared yesterday, evidenced by the wrecked caravans by the side of the road that collapsed whilst being towed.  They all moved 4kms up the road to another huge camp.

Has the RN and other parties included these as a group who will be expulsed from our fair country or will economic sense allow their tolerance to be continued I wonder.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/nantes/nantes-la-procedure-d-evacuation-de-l-un-des-plus-grands-bidonvilles-de-france-enclenchee-cet-ete-20240626