Complete France Forum

Tax d'habitation, new declaration

Ken

A new declaration, to be completed by summer 2023, is required of everyone, including second homeowners, owning houses or flats in France. It is linked to the tax d'habitation and you risk a fine if you don't complete the form. So, following the instructions I logged on, and it didn't work! Off to the Public Finance offices and the longest bit was waiting to be seen. When I was seen it took about 60 seconds to sort it out. The man saying, yes, I know it isn't working well! My problem, apparently, was that my home was listed as a second home, not my principle home. As most homes are now exempt from the tax I'm hoping mine will also now be exempt now that it's properly registered. Given that I have lived here for 23 years I find it strange that it was listed as a second home anyway!

I do not know what goes in the the data bases used by these people.  In recent years they have double our household income and changed my wife's name.  All with zero input from us.

The other weird thing is that our street has an L' in the address.  Many official sites do not recognise the L' when you type it in!

Some organisations use the INSEE code not the Code Postal for correspondence.

All down to the individual to check.

We do own a secondaire and our principal home is in UK. I managed to register as the media suggested and found our house described correctly but there was no evidence of a form to complete. I will now wait for some communication from anywhere official to tell me to fill in a form.

8 hours ago, Hectorsdad said:

We do own a secondaire and our principal home is in UK. I managed to register as the media suggested and found our house described correctly but there was no evidence of a form to complete. I will now wait for some communication from anywhere official to tell me to fill in a form.

I suspect that you only find what purports to the form if you prentend to  amend .. which is how I founn it .. otherwise, check if they have both registerd .. to the right name, etc . and then accept.  I queried why there were two records for the same house, though I could see one wasn't a large space, got a reply back to say they we both the same so ignore, all done.  I think one might have been the swimming pool!  Anyhow, I explored a bit, found a section which describes size of  house in sq m, etc, worked out it was about right (which is when I saw how much was in the seocond record an thought, pool, so I said yes, all is OK), and gave up.  But that might explain why there is no form.  Typical mixup by system designers who don't know what they are designing for!