Complete France Forum

Driving a foreign car in France with second residency

Thor Binderup

Hi all,

I am going to study 1 year in France. I want to bring my Swedish car. I am trying to understand if it will be possible for me not to register my car in France and pay registration taxes. One some sites I can see that if I do NOT have my main residency in France I will be able to drive my car in France for up to 1 year, on other websites it says 6 months (I have put links below). Does anyone know what is the right answer?

Thank you in advance,

Thor

Moving to France: French driving licence & Registering a vehicle (longtermrentalsinfrance.com)

Driving in France - Requirements - Rules - What do I need? (eplaque.fr)

You can bring your own vehicle into France, without needing to register it, for short stays of up to six months in the country. However, if you are staying for more than six months, you will have to register your car within one month of establishing residency in France.

There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid registering your Swedish car in France if you are studying in France for 1 year.

Perhaps the place you are studying at - university - college etc could advise you further?