Complete France Forum

Investment property

Two of my favourite subjects. Investment property and ski resorts.

We have a flat in Alpe du Huez (well in the French family) which we are intending to buy....or hopefully given to us. Or I will just go and change the locks.

Question is do we rent it out ? With the hassle and cost involved in changeovers, insurance, customers, breakages and all the other things associated with renting it out, I am not sure we would actually make any money. Also, there are so many doing the same so there is a lot of competition. i reckon the flat would rent 700 -1000 euros in Feb. But we would be hard pushed to rent it out all season.

Like you said if you do this, you have to go for a resort that people go to in the summer. Like Alpe Du Huez for its cycling and walks etc. We were there in the summer and there was a lot of people about.

In fact summer in the Alpes is better than the winter and becoming more and more popular. And of course, the ski season seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

In terms of the value of our property, Its value has gone down over the last 15 years or so by about (I reckon) 50-100K. So not much on an investment. Put all the charges and taxes on top of that and then that really is not a good investment at all really.

Where are you looking at ?

Archived