Complete France Forum

UK Public Sector Pay Levels 7.5% up on Private Sector

Benjamin

[quote user="sueyh"]I would have earned a lot more in the private sector than I did as a School Secretary in the Public Sector!!

[/quote]

No axe to grind sueyh, but were you paid your full rate during the school holidays?

I notice a few of the (mainly female) doctors at our local health centre choose to work part time.

I worked 42 weeks a year, 37+ hours a week, because of long service had six weeks leave so that meant that there were only four weeks that I did not receive pay for.  My take home was £950 per month - I do not call that good pay and teaching assistants are generally paid even less.  When it came to travel allowance we received 35p per mile (had to pay business insurance out of that!!).  Teachers received over 50p a mile and when I questioned the difference I was told that it was because they had a better union to fight for their rights.  Sorry I'm grinding my own axe now!!

Well, I worked for BR (oh, halcyon days before you-know-who got hold of it) and our pension fund was then and still is separate (no more new members allowed in now).   Funnily enough, it's one of the few funds which is still doing well and looks set to keep me until I pop 'em without government help, even though I believe there is still some sort of obligation for the taxpayers to bale it out if necessary.

Archived