Complete France Forum

How to store an electric Guitar !

alittlebitfrench

I believe there are a few guitar players on this forum. Well I am gussing Dave is.

So I got a new guitar for my birthday a month back.

What is the best way to store it when not playing for lets say a month or more. Vertical or Horizontal….strings de-tuned ? 

I have googled it but there is lots of contradictory opinions.

Any advice welcome.

Kindest

I have no personal experience but my son has half a dozen guitars and because he uses them frequently he keeps them open on tripod stands. He recommends that if you are looking at longer term storage, maybe several weeks or months, you should protect your new guitar in a hard shell case, stored horizontal to avoid damage due to falls and with the strings slackened a few notches. Make sure you clean the whole instrument before putting it away.

Just make sure your guitar sits in the hard case correctly and there's no pressure on the neck. I rarely put my guitars away. Instead I use wall supports like this.

https://www.amazon.fr/Hercules-Stands-GSP39WB-Support-Guitare/dp/B000EEJGRK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544623575&sr=8-2&keywords=HERCULES%2BSTANDS&th=1

Personally I would be very wary of cleaning. Distilled water only on the body.

I don't bother de-tuning.

If you're going to be storing the instrument for long periods keep an eye on the humidity as the body can dry out and the veneer craze.

Thank you both for your advice. I forgot mention it is a hollowbody electric guitar.

My acoustic is on a tripod stand…but I dont want to put the new guitar on such a stand. I don’t really want to put it on a wall either at the moment. It will do in the future. I have a four year old who is a permanent tornado in the house so it needs protection.

At the moment it is stored in a hardcase but the case is laid horizontally on a comode. I am not keen putting the case vertically. 

Is that OK for a hollowbody ? It is not going to twist or anything ?

I can’t play for a few months because I have knackered my hand. LOL. 

Leaving it in the hard case will be fine. Much better that letting a four year old play with it😀. If the guitar is lying flat in the case and there's no pressure on the neck it won't warp. Sounds like you've got this covered in more ways than one🙂.

If you do decide to buy a tripod stand at a later date, check out the reviews as some of them have a coating that can react with newer varnishes.