Complete France Forum

Les Deux Alpes

Lehaut

We so enjoyed our last French winter walking holiday we decided to go to a new venue this year.  Drove down to Les Deux Alpes for a week.  They do a pass for all the ski lifts for those of us who only walk, not ski.  A heavy fall of snow was imminent on the first one we went up which gave a good "white out" picture of me as I stood on a ridge with the valley dropping away behind.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8edfd17eb604af8e524005f6425f56c.jpeg

The glacier we wanted to visit the next day was shut due to strong winds. Even at the level we were allowed to, the wind chill temperature (according to the monitors) was -35°C, which is the coldest I have ever experienced.  Enough time to take my glove off, take a picture and lose feeling in the ends of my fingers. My wife stopped moving only long enough to take this.

image.thumb.jpeg.8785802c87f129a947012e9fec5736f0.jpeg

The snow and wind dropped for the rest of the week, allowing a visit inside the glacier and some great walks and views.  Much milder at -22°C air temp.

image.thumb.jpeg.6177f5f60b735add1d8c8df3a7d53ad9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.233436d3626b0db5f2fb6ffd09129a8f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.811fbd81031a161d6aae8286fc00777f.jpeg

Great experience and a great place for a holiday.

• Like 1

Fabulous pictures, Lehaut.  I can almost feel myself there and it made me shiver.  Mind you, it's perishing here, has been for days now and I have a job keeping warm.

Did you walk witmh raquettes?  TBH I prefer raquettes or ski de fond....no need to make great big scars on the landscape and no need to build lifts etc.  Then, in summer, it is all meadows again.

Wish I could just go down to Bordeaux and take a plane to Geneva, just like old times.  I do not know les Deux Alpes so will do a bit of research.

Great that you and Mrs L could get around and enjoy yourselves.

"The drive from Grenoble to Bourg d’oisans must have given you a fright. 

It is very grim."

Going up it was not too bad, coming back was worse, -9°C at times and going down hill, though the roads appeared clear of ice.  The hair pins and the deep shadow on the valley road did indeed give it a grim aspect. Not helped by that tiny stone wall between you and the drop down.  We stayed overnight in just outside the centre of Lyon on the way there.  Quite a difficult one way system with the trams, in the dark. 

Edited by Lehaut

Menthe, we did not use raquettes on the trails.  However on one descent we truly wished we had them.  The trail had disappeared under drifts. On parts where I fell through it was above my thighs.  My boots filled with snow which slowly melted. It was the only time my feet were cold.  Think next time we will take some with us.

1 hour ago, Lehaut said:

"The drive from Grenoble to Bourg d’oisans must have given you a fright. 

It is very grim."

Going up it was not too bad, coming back was worse, -9°C at times and going down hill, though the roads appeared clear of ice.  The hair pins and the deep shadow on the valley road did indeed give it a grim aspect. Not helped by that tiny stone wall between you and the drop down.  We stayed overnight in just outside the centre of Lyon on the way there.  Quite a difficult one way system with the trams, in the dark. 

I have driven that road hundreds of times as we have a family flat in Alpe du Huez. I find it so depressing. Especially Livet and Gavet. What hard life these people lead…..mostly in the darkness.

It was a tricky road in the ice and snow before they widened it.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

23 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

What hard life these people lead…..mostly in the darkness

Indeed. We went down to Venosc at the southern end of Les Deux Alpes.  It was a descent into darkness, with the temperature dropping as well.