Complete France Forum

Prune or not to Prune ?

Henry100

Evening all fan's of the common worm,

I hope your all well and for the new to gardening Here we go for the pruning and what you'll need.

Now as always work in a safe way, You are about to use one of the most deadly tool's we gardeners use and very close to your Body

Let's start off with a list of possible tools needed and then we'll talk about each tool,

Tool list, (1) Bow Saw

(2) Grecian-type saw

(3) Straight bladed saw

(4) High -reach- pruners

(5) Long handle secateurs

(6) Chain saw

(7) hard helmit

(8) knee pads / kneeling pad,

(9) ear pads

(10) hand gloves

(11) Hedge trimmers (Electric or Petrol)

(12) Garden shears & small hand held seccateurs

(13) fuel container with fuel mix /or a extension for electric trimmer use,

Rope / Ladders /  And a horse bench (for cutting thick logs into fire wood size)

OK above is the ideal list to do the pruning of any size tree /shrub /hedge etc,

Now lets deal with the the chain saw,  Like any tool that has a means of an engine or electric power system,

I would very strongly advise only buy new, The reason i say this is because the likes of chain saw's have No way of one owner to an other owner knowing how much work that engine has done ?  Or how often it has been serviced, the chain can be exchanged for a new one

But if the inner engine has been worn or even starved of oil at any time during it's past life time ?????  You would not know about it even if when offered for sale the engine and chain oiling section has oil in it then,

Unless you know the seller very very well 'I would not buy a used chain saw, they can be death traps, (And why is it for sale anyway????

Buying a chain saw,

Unless you know the very good makes it can be a hard choice, But if you like a make then see if you can Hire that make from the supplier on the understanding your wanting to buy a new one,

If you buy cheap ? Ask your self what is the cost of making this machine ? The chances are your buying a cheap product made of cheap materials with a very short life span,

Do a bit of research via the Inter net, Google and ask questions, but do as i do and read the write ups from people who have bought the item and what they have to say about their experience,

I myself have two chainsaws and both by the same company, the first one i bought 20years ago "New" and apart from a few new chains I have only serviced it and replaced service parts (spark plug / air filter) and this machine has had a lot of use,

The second machine is from the same makers and the reason i bought machine number two was because we moved to France and burn wood, Hence i need a much larger chain reach and this machine is for log cutting and in fact is called the PROFESSIONAL

It is one of the larger saws and is made for the extra thick logs, But a point to make here, when the engine starts you can really feel the power and i would strongly advise anyone if you feel you need a chain saw for log cutting make sure you read all the section regarding safe working and wear the head gear, Kick back can cost you a very serious injury?????

The make i use is a German make been going for years and as for parts or any Advice needed they are very good plus they have agents all over the World STIHL   

Now you can get other good makers, "But" I have stayed with this Brand because of the good use i have had with both chain saw's

And i believe if your happy with a tool and such as this one can  cost a lot, but you get what you pay for,

The chain and care of the chain

Now the chain is what cuts the wood and you must understand how to adjust the chain for it to fit snug, you do not want it tight but you do not want it loose, It needs to be able to move and turn around the chain mounting frame, You will need to know were the adjusting system is to adjust the chain, Keep the chain oil section filled with the "CORRECT CHAIN OIL" It is important that the oil keeps the chain well lubricated ,

Clean the chains cutting teeth,

You will see these teeth if you study the chain, One part is a little long shape and opposite you will see what looks like a hook shape, Now for my machine the makers made a sharpening kit that has two round files and a flat bar,    Sharpening is very simple you just line the two files across the two above metal teeth & hook shape and push across the teeth/hook,   how ever many times you do the push to sharpen must be the same amount for all the other teeth etc, 

Tip  Make sure you remember to work safe and pull the HT lead off and have the chain in free setting (so the chain can be pushed with no resistance   Mark with a bit of masking tape at the side of the first teeth you have sharpen and when to tape comes around to the start you'll know the full chain is finished,

Check chain setting and replace the HT Lead and start the engine, the chain should spin around ready to cut.

If you clean the teeth after every working days use you'll find "sap" etc will come off easy , a wire brush is good for this cleaning.

Care of the saw

Because of the nature of the work this tool is designed for ?  You will be dealing with saw dust and oil, the oil from the chain can cause the saw dust to gather just inside the chain guard, & around the cog were the chain go's around, also near the air filter again dust will gather, remove chain guard and use a clean paint brush and paraffin (when machine is cold) and a rag, the dust will wash off, dry and clean the nuts that hold the chain guard, also clean the inside & outside of the chain guard & replace it, do the same for the cog area : The air filter area and air filter itself, wash this in paraffin and dry it, replace and clean the body and fill up with oil &

If you are going to use the machine shortly , Use fuel additive ( this helps keep the carb"s jets clear) and fill up with fuel mix.

I myself clean the sparking plug after an 8 hours days use, It takes minutes and gives the machine the best chance to do another days work,  And I sleep well knowing I have done my best.

Well folks it is a lot to take in "but" as you use the machine more & more this little lot becomes second nature and you'll find your machine works well and  "Boy" what a time saver,

Tomorrow we will chat about the other pruning tools we can use.