Complete France Forum

Electricity Pylons

coolvac

Hallo,  I have found this forum very informative and hope that you may be able to help me with a couple of queries concerning a house we are interesting in buying in the Dordogne.  A high tension pylon sits adjacent to the property and the estate agent states that the power line will be put underground 'this year'.  The mayor says this is not the case and although we are not especially concerned about this,  I wondered if anyone knew of any problems with interference or noise from these pylons, which is likely to spoil the enjoyment of what is a very attractive house. 

My other query concerns the gas tank which is buried in the garden.  I think I read in one of the messages that the new owner has to pay a one off lump sum before the tank can be filled.  Is this correct?  Thank you. 

No ideas about the gas tank but I'm on one of the Energy Committees for the Dordogne and yes, cable are being planted - eventually.  Timetables have slipped but the Maire should know as somebody on the local Council will have responsibility for sitting on the Energy Committee for your area.  May be worth another visit to the Mairie.  Not heard about any noise polution or interference but I would ask the previous owner if possible or the notaire involved as part of the contract negotiations.

Are you sure it's a high tension cable, that would be a suprise, more likely to be telephone cables but it depends on where the house is located.

Re the gas tank.  If it's Primagaz, they do take a one off deposit from the new owners of the property (I think the tank always belongs to Primagaz)  From memory, this was about €500.  The idea is that from time to time (or at your request) the tanker turns arrives and tops up your tank.  You then receive a bill in the post shortly after.  The deposit is Primagaz way of getting their money in case of non-payment.  You get your deposit back if/when you move out.

Another point is that before they will fill your tank for the first time as new owners, they will send an inspector to give the place the once over, making sure the installation and safety features are up to spec (eg cut off valves, ventilation, condition and placement of pipes).  This takes about 20 minutes and is free.  My inspector turned up the same time as the tanker so could give the OK on the spot.  The only thing I had to rectify was a flexible hose to the gas hob in the kitchen which was OK in the past but not now. The inspector was not too bothered, just said to get it changed when I could,  the inspector even gave me the name of the loacl approved plumber/gas man  who did the change quickly and at no great cost.

You get an external inspection of the installation every couple of years or so I think.

Archived