Complete France Forum

Grants Available For Setting Up A Business

carpy

Hi all,

At the end of the year i am coming to france to set up a new business. Can any one advise me of any grants that are available from the french goverment or the EU. The business i will be undertaking is selling bait and fishing tackle.  I have also heard that the banks are obliged to lend money to any new business, is this correct ? If so what level of money are they obliged to give to a start up business. Any feedback or experiences would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

Gareth

I would have thought that you would need some history with a french bank first. I cannot see any of them lending money to someone just turning up and saying what he wants to do without a financial plan on paper in French from an accountant here. Crikey, all artisans here or other self employed have to prove paperwise they are credit worthy beforehand to even get the bank to consider any sort of loan. Look how many people want to do gîte complex lettings but no french bank will touch them without several years previous accounts and a projected forecast of what is to come.

I don't think that the OP wants a loan, I think that they want to be 'given' money, or I maybe wrong.

I know that my Dad set up a business in the 1980's in the UK and was given some money to help with the start up and he called that a 'grant' and didn't have to pay it back.

Carpy

I would suggest that you do a lot (and I mean a lot) of research before you even think about setting up a business in France.

France has many attributes however being business friendly is not one of them. I would suggest searching the posts on this forum for a start.

There are many people who move to France to live and work however, for most it is the lifestyle rather than the business side of things that attract them. Those that I know tend to be just scraping by rather than prospering, however money is not everything and their life is reasonably stress free when compared to living in the UK.

With regards to fishing tackle and bait. In most areas this is available in the supermarkets and local shops (including maggots in some places). I’m not sure that, however attractive the notion, a bait and tackle shop is something which is viable. I have not seen any in our area of France and to be sure I would have noticed one (they are a fascinating place to browse, although maybe not for everyone!).

Speaking as somebody who has been in business in the UK for nearly 20 years you are better off putting the effort into developing your business because in many cases the value of the grant and the hoops you need to jump through are not worth the time and effort.

Archived