Complete France Forum

Maternelle in Niort

We're moving to Deux Sevres June 1st and I've heard that there is a school in Niort which caters for English children who can't speak French to bring them up to speed with the other children - does anyone know of it and can offer advice?

Our little girl will be 4 in October, so I was thinking of keeping her out of the school system until after the summer holidays and spending the time up until then with some private lessons at home for the pair of us, but obviously a city school with more english kids may be a good starting point when the time comes.

[quote]We're moving to Deux Sevres June 1st and I've heard that there is a school in Niort which caters for English children who can't speak French to bring them up to speed with the other children - does an...[/quote]

To find out try the web site for 'Mairie de Niort'. If not on their site it could be a private school.

I will ask my sister who works in Niort if she knows about it...

Will keep you posted.

[quote]We're moving to Deux Sevres June 1st and I've heard that there is a school in Niort which caters for English children who can't speak French to bring them up to speed with the other children - does an...[/quote]

Just had a reply to our questions.. Marvellous this internet/Email technology....

My sister in Niort does not know of such school, but she says that many primary schools are teaching english as part of the curriculum. Also she thinks that the normal school age is 5 i.e when the child has actually had his/her 5th birthday, depends on the school. Some are over subscribed purely due to catchment area population so they limit their numbers by the 5th birthday criterion.

Your local Mairie is the best place to find out about all this school thing. Go and visit the local school now or other 'Ecole Primaire et Maternelle' near you before they close at the end of June for the summer break.

The only 'Ecole Primaire/Maternelle' I know are that of 'Saint Florent' (I was a pupil there) and 'Jean Zay' as I went to the C.E.S there... MANY, MANY, MANY MOONS AGO!!...... They are both on the 'Route de la Rochelle' side of Niort so really the opposite of the town from you in La Crèche on the map... Another 'Groupe Scolaire' is on the 'route d'Aiffres' next to the main 'La Poste' sorting office. Again on the opposite side of the map from you.

But your little one is very young and of an age where she will absorb the language very fast. So I would let her play with other young ones in your neighbourhood during the summer for her to take the language in and take her to your local school (the Maternelle) in September. See what happens you may be surprised! Only snag is that many if not most French families are going on holiday in the July-August and you may find your area a little empty...

My children had to learn Welsh (as I live in Wales) when they started school at that same tender age. Neither my husband or I did (or do) speak an iota of it. These kids soaked up the language like a sponge! My son now 23+ is still in touch with his school chums when coming home and english is not much spoken when they are together. My daughter has gone the other way and refuses to speak any other language than English!! even French to my parents... but that is more to do with being a stroppy teenager!!

Best of luck.

Archived