Complete France Forum

Proposed TGV extension

Does anyone have any details about the proposed TGV extension from Poitiers to Bilbao? Apparently it's going to slice right thro the middle of Indre (36) Charente (16) Gironde (33) and Landes (40). I'll shortly be househunting in the area and need to know the exact planned route so I can avoid it like the plague.

http://www.lgvsudeuropeatlantique.org/index.php?page=RFFLayout&portlet=Cartetoursang

and other pages

gives detailed maps of the project showing the route, road deviations and villages to miss (unless you are a train spotter). Remember, it is not only the route, it will affect surrounding areas, lorries road works etc. It is a long term project, the web site gives the dates somewhere.

Happy house hunting.

TGV lines are not all negative (though you might not wnat to live 20m awawy from one.)

When the LYon Marseilles LGV line openned house prices within 30 minutes of a station shot up, with announcements that houses were only 2 hrs and x mintues from Paris.

I'm surprised there's not been more in this group about this. After all it's going to totally change the character of the entire area - it's nothing short of an environmental disaster. Many people have been attracted by the peace and solitude of Charente - I wonder how many knew about this before they purchased! It should keep property prices down, in fact many places will be unsaleable. Anyway I'm pleased I discovered this before wasting time viewing within the blighted areas.

If you look at the route map through the Charente you will see that it goes through open countryside between villages. Yes, there will be upheaval/increased lorry traffic for a time and large sections of beautiful countryside will be carved up but that's already happening in the Charente with the extension/widening of the Poitiers/Bordeaux road.  I suppose that's OK for you as it will make your trip south quicker so what's so different about the TGV route? Or are you also objecting to the building of new roads?

The TGV extension will be a boon to commuters and the tourist industry. As someone else remarked, the large cities will be quicker and easier to get to - French unemployment is very high - and house values will increase.

But, if you have strong environmental objections, there are groups in the Charente campaining against it.

Archived