Complete France Forum

french lessons in this area?

Is anybody aware of any french lessons/teachers that we may be able to use. We are in Dept 72, something close to Alencon or Le Mans would be good.

How could we find out if their is somesort of expat network in this area too. Our french is very very basic and we would like to do some networking and make new friends. We have thought about asking at the Mairie, but again the language barrier is a problem for us at the moment.

Sorry don't know your area but we spent many months when we first moved to France desperate for French lessons and couldn’t find any. Now we know of several dotted about our department but it takes time. Why not be very brave and put a card in the local village shop/nearest supermarket saying ‘couple anglais cherche lecons en francais’? You could also take this card to your Mairie and just show it to them - you might find they can help. If not, at least you’ve shown yourselves willing.

I think there are branches of AVF in Alencon and Le Mans. AVF is a voluntary organisation whose aim is to welcome newcomers of all nationalities to French towns. Some of them do run language lessons but if not, someone will help you seek them out. In any case, it’s a great organisation to join as there’ll be a variety of events for you to take part in to get to know people and places. However, be persistent when you try to make contact as it’s run on a shoestring and it can take a while to get the ball rolling!www.avf.asso.fr/

Don’t know about expat clubs in the area. Maybe put another card in the shop, in English this time!

Best of luck.

[quote]Is anybody aware of any french lessons/teachers that we may be able to use. We are in Dept 72, something close to Alencon or Le Mans would be good. How could we find out if their is somesort of expa...[/quote]

Hi Katieb,

Go to your nearest M.I.L (Maison des Initiatives Locales) in most large villages. If they don't offer French lessons there they will tell you the nearest town or village to go to which provides free French lessons usually called Lire et Dire (funded by the European Union). I had to go to the nearest town, but I do remember them telling me that it only required 3 people wanting lessons for my own village to provide them.

Roli

• 3 weeks later...

Archived