Complete France Forum

reconnecting the water and electricity

Hi

we have recently purchased a property in dept 79 Le Busseau.But we have no electricity or water supply.Does anyone know how long it takes the water company and electricity company to reconnect you. I have sent a couple of letters and e-mails asking to be reconnected.But i haven't had an answer yet.I know it would be quicker to telephone. but the problem is my French is not that good.Hence the letters and e-mails with the aid of an translator. Does anyone know any good electrians and plumbers in the area too.

Antoinette

If there is a supply to the house which has recently been occupied, could you not ask your agent to get the utilities connected (their fees are so high after all...)? Otherwise if it's a renovation project with no supply to the house you'll have to contact the companies and get prices. The electric company (EDF) may want to check any new wiring out before switching on.

I doubt its something they would get called upon to do very often since its more usual for UK properties to still be occupied and therefore still connected.  I've no doubt that if asked by people who didn't have very good language skills, most estate agents in most countries would oblige by making a phone call or two. 

Our estate agent, Leggett Immobilier in Montbron, arranged for our electricity and water to be connected - and later (after they had already had their commission, incidentally) for the phone to be connected.  They also arranged later for standing orders to be set up to pay all the bills and that the bills be sent to our UK address.  They arranged our house insurance with AXA and this included getting us quotes for three different sets of circumstances we expect to move through over the coming year or so.  Early on in the process, they offered to help us set up a bank account - even attending the interview at the bank with us - but we declined as we had already opened one.  They have been very helpful and since the estate agent acts as liaison through the whole purchasing scenario, I don't see why one would laugh in your face if asked to help with arranging that the first couple of weeks after the purchase goes smoothly.  Why on earth would they just abandon their customers at that stage?  Its always worth asking, in any case.

I've seen this comment from you numerous times before, teamedup,  so I know its seemingly 'not done' in your area.  However, have you any useful suggestion to add, or did you just post to be negative?

I can only assume that the estate agents in some regions must be that desperate that they feel they have to do it.

Why on earth should all this sort of thing be free. Because it has to be free otherwise those of us who can manage would get a discount. As it is those who manage are financing others ineptitude. Especially the french, and it doesn't seem right to me.

to the poster,

go on just do it, give them a call, be pleasant but insistent and you will manage. I know it can be done, I have done it.

Archived