Complete France Forum

Choosing Vendee for my retirement

Hello there,

Just needed to see if there were any other single ladies of a certain age(almost at the big 6 0) who have made the move to the Vendee area. I am hoping to come out there to have a good look at the area around Fontenay le Comte in about a months time. Property seems to be fairly reasonable, only me and two cats so I don't need anything too big. Also are there any clubs/associations/social events that I could participate in to begin with so that I can make friends? I am learning to play golf here in the UK and would hope to get a few games in when I make the eventual move. Any would be Tiger or even Tigress Woods over there? There are loads of questions I need to ask but other forums will help me I'm sure regarding plugs, TV, Internet setup etc etc. So thanks for reading this post and I look forward to hearing from some (or all) of you.

Sandra

Although there are five golf courses in the Vendee, none of them is located very near to Fontenay (nearest is probably the one just south of La Roche-sur-Yon). I think there is a course at Niort, in Deux-Sevres, which would actually be nearer.

Angela
www.the-vendee.co.uk

You will get a very warm welcome to the Vendee from people in similar circumstances to you, many others who will help you settle in and get to know the system., and if you try your French by the locals as well who are very friendly.

Although I'm not a golfer I am told the golf course at Niort is very good once you get past the first few holes (that probably means something to golfers!)

Thanks for the info re: golf courses. I am not proficient enough to be let loose round a course yet, but lessons continue and by the time I reach the Vendee I should be good enough (I hope). I am actually coming over to the Vendee on a scouting mission in May and really looking forward to it. Most of the posts seem to come from friendly sounding people and I shall endeavour to be the same. It's a big step when you are single, but the thought of staying in UK for my retirement is not an option I wish to consider. Pastures new and all that. My French is not bad, need to brush up on conjugation of verbs but living there and integrating should be a good start. Oh and Angela your book is on order and should arrive anyday soon, I look forward to a good read. It seems to be everyones Bible.

sandra

Archived