Complete France Forum

Signing final contract

jen

Anyone tell me how much notice you were given on date for signing final contract please? There was a mention of 2 dates in January in compris but not sure what this means would like to take advantage of forward currency rates, do you think it would be OK to contact notaire for provisional dates?

If a date or dates are mentioned in the compromis, which you signed, then unless you've subsequently agreed otherwise with the seller you will be expected to complete then. Bearing in mind the time of year remember your money needs to be in the Notaire's account in good time. Many people have been caught out by hanging on untill the last minute to squeeze the last penny of interest in UK only to find the money isn't there on the day.

We actually overpaid by about €1000 to allow for unforseens well in advance and the Notaire gave us a refund cheque on the day of completion which we promptly used to open our local bank account.

Forward rates, do you have a crystal ball, please do tell [;-)]

The rates seem to be hovering around the same level.

The silly season is nearly on us. I would talk to a few dealers (make sure you are already registered with them), play one off against the other and see what they will give you as a future rate and what they will give you now. Do let them know that you are ready to deal - I got a far better rate by saying 'I am ready to deal today for the right rate'.

Paul

Archived