Complete France Forum

Electricity Supply

We have just taken possesion of our holiday house in Arnac, Pompadour. There is lots to do and find out and what follows is probably the first of many questions.

We want to dispense with the bottled gas cooker and go all electric but have been told by someone here in the UK that the supply might not be big enough, could that be so ? Is the size of the supply marked on the incoming mains or might it be possible to find out from EDF the capacity ?

I would be surprised if you can find a French all electric cooker and a UK one will probably be not much use. I have an electric oven but a gas hob. I would not have an electric hob if you paid me, but that it just because I think that they waste heat and are very difficult to control.

I have this very powerful electric oven (fan assisted etc) with grill a combination microwave, a washing machine, dishwasher, tumbledryer and some very serious freezers and a fridge. Plus all the IT stuff for the business, electric heaters, hifi and TV etc etc and we get by on 6kw and have not yet had to reset because we overloaded the system. We do not have an electric kettle (well we do but we don't use it) as this seems to be what causes grief with our friends who have a far higher supply rating but trip-out when they use their kettles.

We are not mean but if you don't need a higher supply, why pay for it.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk