Complete France Forum

House Rental in Dordogne

Can anybody help?

We (ie me, my beloved and possibly a teenage Kevin) are looking for a house to rent for 6 months (minimum) from early September within easy reach of Perigueux. We were thinking about Perigord Vert but anywhere West or maybe East of there would be okay. We would prefer an unfurinished or sparsely furnished place with minimum 3 bedrooms, parking and plenty of room if possible. Decent heating system for those chilly Winter months is essential. Oh and did I mention that if it was also in a charming village that would be ideal

Any info or offers appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
We have found a place!

Thanks to Carol at www.dordogne-on-line.info, she was a big help and we eventually found something through her site.

Other sites you might find useful;

www.seloger.com
www.fnaim.fr
www.laforet.com - some useful information on renting.
www.pap.fr

A couple of agents, with no particular axe to grind, advised me to try the Marie if we wanted something in an out lying village. Apparently they often get to know about houses for rent before the agents. I can't vouch for the validity of this advise as I didn't try it myself but it may help someone.

Trying to rent through French agents can be difficult if you are starting out again and have no proof of a regular income. The minimum lease period appears to be three years and owners are extremely weary of letting to anyone without cast iron (in French eyes) references as once you are in situ the law is heavly on the side of the tenant and it is difficult to evict you. For example, I read somewhere that even if you don't pay the rent, you can't be evicted during the Winter months!

Richard

Archived