Complete France Forum

Two new Trocs in Perigueux

Hi Dog, Do you mean Carrefour? If not, I have not seen the one opposite Auchan, will have to check it out if this is correct. Do love going to these even if some of the stuff is real tat at expensive prices. I am always amused to see the old beat up appliances that are for sale for more than what it would cost to buy a new one. [:)]

P.S. I am not sure but I think I saw your avatar in our Lime tree the other day. It looked like a cross between a moth and a hummingbird, fascinating.

I was in a hedge trying to get pictures of a remarkable micro moth that is 10 mm long but has 45mm long antennae when this beauty landed on a leaf by my side. I just got the one picture before it was on its way.

It's Olethreutes arcuella, a Tortrix Moth and it is a shame really that we do not have a common English name for the most beautiful of all leaf-rolling moths.

The Germans are more respectful and call it the Splendid Roller (Prachtwickler). The bright orange background color of the upperwing, with silvry, black, brown and yellow markings make this a species one not only never forgets, but make it unique as well: there is nothing like it in the moth world.

Like many other Tortrixes the legs are creamy white with gray rings. The fact many people have never seen it at all is probably due to it's small size: the wingspan is some 14 to 18 mm only, meaning the moth isn't even 1 centimeter long.

The eggs are being laid in June and July mainly. They are deposited in leaflitter or on the leaves of small, low growing plants. The larvae come out in late summer and live in a leave rolled up. They are entirely dark brown. Just before winter they move to a pile of plant rubble and leaves, spin a leaf together and overwinter.

The following spring they become active again and remain in the pile of rubble and leaves to finish their completion. Then they pupate within a cocoon. The new generation of moths appears from the beginning of June and flies about to the beginning of August.

Olethreutes arcuella is a remarkable moth, for not only is it a beauty, it also flies by day. In the evenings it is sometimes attracted to light, though. The splendid colors are such that it is not as easily seen between leaves as might be expected and extremely hard to see in flight.

Scarce in England and Wales, rare in Scotland and Ireland, getting even rarer to the north. Scattered throughout Europe, but never appearing in great numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new troc is in the same building that used to be a part time troc in the industrial estate opposite Auchan - it is at the lower end near the driving test centre.

There is a lot of over priced tat but some things are under priced.

I nearly thrown out of a troc for suggesting that you get better stuff at the tip in the UK and it's cheaper.

I've had great stuff from UK tips - cases of early victorian glass negatives, 50 brand new & autographed copies of an AC/DC album??? Too many books to mention - one was an 1815 dictionary.

Lots of solid old furniture and chairs. My brother even got a tuxedo for 50p and it always raises and grin when he wears it to a posh do. Working televisions for a £1.

I think it is criminal that there are so many bicycles with minor problems discarded for a newer one. The old ones should be exported to Africa they would have the time and inclination do them up and use them.

The moth I saw was very large and as I said almost looked like a cross between a moth and a hummingbird as it was hovering and taking pollen from the blossom on the lime tree, so obviously was not the same as yours. I will have to look out for the moth you mention it does sound amazing, maybe I will get lucky.

Thank you for the information on the Troc near Auchan, I will definitely visit the next time I am in the area, hopefully I will get lucky there also. [:)]

Archived