Complete France Forum

Habitation taxes

Tia

Hi

Just a quick question for you experts out there I have sold my house at long last and completion date 30th June, I am assuming I will still get the two tax bills oct/nov for this year and I assume I will have to pay them for the full year if so can I get any money back for the 6 months of the year the house isnt mine.

Thanks in advance

[quote user="Tia"]I assume I will have to pay them for the full year if so can I get any money back for the 6 months of the year the house isnt mine.

[/quote]

As the bills are calculated on whomsoever owns the house on Jan 1st of the year of sale you are responsible for paying both of them when they arrive later in the year. You will have to pay the tax d'habitation in full, there are occasionally exceptions to this but this is rare. On the other hand the taxe fonc is usually shared between the two parties; the owner receiving by cheque from the purchaser, on the day of sale, the pro rata amount for the remainder of the year. This calculation is based on the preceeding years fonc bill, so will probably be out by a few euros.

Sue

Edit : the phone rang whilst I was typing so Sweet got in first !

While it is customary to apportion the Taxes Foncières between seller and buyer, this is not an obligation.

The Brit buyers of our part converted barn in St J de B were so offhand in response to our attempts to discuss the building plans we had submitted and what we would leave in the house, refusing even to consider our leaving our truck in the huge barn for a short time, that we stripped the house of everything not screwed down.

I felt a bit mean afterwards, until, when the Acte was signed, they flat refused to pay any portion of the Foncières, so getting 9 months without charges.

I was not heartbroken either, when a neighbour later told me part of the house collapsed when they had a cowboy builder remove an internal load bearing wall.

I always believe that what goes around eventually comes around.

Archived