Complete France Forum

interesting/fancy chickens

Does anyone in the Aveyron (12) know where I can get some unusual/fancy hens?  The French seem only to keep the run-of-the-mill 'utility' hen which you order at the local farmer's co-operative Point Vert etc.,  and look blank when I ask for Marans or such??    I would like to get my eggs from something that also looks quite interesting and attractive scratching round my orchard.  Maybe I should be on the gardening forum perhaps - any ideas?

Battery hens - yes possibly, depends what's involved.  I have kind of tested my husband's good nature recently by taking on three rescue dogs and I have been feeding the 5 feral cats we found living in the barns when we bought our place, for the past year and they keep multiplying of course!  Some would call me soft and others just plain stupid!

• 2 weeks later...

I am just about to start on my chicken adventure.

I would like to know more about Bantams. I don't have a lot of space, and live alone so I don't want lots of eggs.

I also want them to be good pets. Any suggestions for a good breed that might suit. Thanks

I had some rescued Bantams back in the UK and they were very cute friendly little hens.  They can be prolific layers but you can always make delicious pickled eggs, bake lots or give them to neighbours/friends.  They are ideal 'small back yard' companions I would say and I know of someone near to me in the Aveyron who sells them, otherwise I have just managed to order and take delivery of some rare breed hens from the following : La Ferme de Beaumont - guy there called Bertrand very helpful (speaks good English if you need it) and knows his hens!  If you have not kept chickens before smallholder guru Katie Thear writes sensible and practical advice for all aspects of chicken keeping.  Hope this is helpful.

Archived