Complete France Forum

We had a terrific storm last evening in the Gers. A very strong ?westerly  wind , lightening went on for hours.

One of the willow trees next to our pond was blown down, and many branches off another one. So lots of clearing up to do.

Did anyone else have a similar storm?

In the Lot Et Garonne we were on the edge of it, but saw the lightning in the distance, absolutely spectacular.  One of those storms where bolts of lightning fill the sky and you wish you were a better photographer.  There was a little light rain and a strong warm wind in the evening ....

sorry if you people in the Gers had it bad, but it was very scenic here !

We had it bad,  trees where bent in half!!!  Happened to be the same tree OH parked the car under for the night! Covered in branches this morning!  The whole family got up and watched it for hours, amazing, my window boxes blew off !!!  Is there anywhere you can look to check when one of these is expected?

All tired today though!

Yes, we had it too. The electrics kept going on and off through the night, that along with all the thunder and lightening and my dogs heavy panting and shaking, I too am feeling tired. [:)] Luckily no serious damage though.

I know that the storm on Tuesday evening was forecast, going by a story in the Depeche yesterday about intreruptions to the Marciac Jazz festival. But I'm not sure where, probably on french TV and radio.

If you look on Meteo.fr you can find a forecast for your area, but maybe not giving details of severity etc.

I would like to know which one the farmers use as I noticed on Tuesday none of them were watering their maize, which is very unusual.

ps here is a site borrowed from Clair :

http://www.meteofrance.com/vigilance/index.jsp

We watched the storm approaching with some trepidation from the stand at the Valence D'Agen Spectacle -  "au fil de l'eau". We had been told by friends that it was well worth going to see this annual spectacle. For those unfamiliar with this event it follows the lives of 3 boys/men as they grow up through the 20th Century. It is set against the backdrop of the canal basin at Valence with a mini village built in the background. There are the usual  son et lumiere effects, smoke, laser lights and projections and the story is acted out by about 350 locals in appropriate costumes. It started at 2200 hours and the storm hit after about half an hour causing a few thousand (my estimate - it may be more) to run (slowly) for shelter. The performance had to be abandoned as some of the set was thrashing around in the wind and rain, and other parts were in danger of collapsing. We will definitely be returning next year (we cannot make the other performances this week) and hope next time it is not interrupted by the lightning display which was quite a sight in itself.

Peter

Archived