Complete France Forum

Have you asked at the Mairies of neighbouring villages towns whether they have an orchestra with brass section or failing that a "fanfare".

Many villages around here seem to have a fanfare with trumpets, drums, bugles, etc. of varying quality, who are rolled out on civic occasions, fêtes etc.  Anyone can join and they are always looking to recruit - unfortunately, not in your area.

Steve, you might have to start your own.

I couldn't believe how difficult it is just to get a piano tuner, nevermind other people who play instruments.

Mind you, I am in a very quiet country area and have not yet asked around the larger towns and cities.

Like these?

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/complete/congres2007_03.jpg[/IMG]

Regardless of what it sounds like, it does give a sense of occasion and they are very enthusiastic. Mostly.  Except if they have to stand in the sun too long.

You need to find out where your local 'harmonie' practises. Turn up to a rehearsal and they will undoubtedly embrace you with open arms, give you a music folder and kit you out with a fetching outfit in no time! Go to the mairie at the biggest town/village near you and they should be able to give you the necessary info. I went along to one when we first moved here just to get to grips with the language (still have trouble with la, si, etc...) and found it really good fun. I did a few concerts with them and they were really happy to have new members and not at all funny about me leaving when I got a job and couldn't spare the time (rehearsals started at about 21h00!). Not really a brass band (more like a marching/wind band), but there were plenty of saxes and trumpets. We had 3 flutes but even if we belted it out I'm sure no-one heard us! Any passing oboeist or bassoonist is likely to be kidnapped and held to ransom - they are always on the lookout for them! Standards ranged from complete beginner to relatively competent (more of the lower end) but everyone has fun and it is a real social event too.

If the mairie can't help, contact your local ecole de musique (they aren't connected but may well know the relevant people). Hope you find something. What do you play?

Jane

Archived