Complete France Forum

A taxing question

woolybanana

For the last tax year, I paid impots anticipe, but in the end received the whole lot back as I managed not to earn enough to pay any tax at all. But, should I be paying impots anticipe for this year when I already know I cant worm out of tax yet again? Or just setting the money aside. I obviously want to avoid being surcharged for not paying in advance.

Hi - You were probably paying monthly by direct debit? If so the liability would have been based on your previuos year's liability, with an appropriate adjustment either way when your definitive liability was known - hence on a nil liability you received all the prelevements back. The following year there would be no prelevement taken - nothing to base liability on until definitive assessment.

UA Gallois

But everyone has to unless the impots involved are below 342€ per year.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F3120.xhtml

One either does tiers paiements or pays monthly, like we do in the UK now. IF people are not, then I'm surprised that they haven't been fined.

Which ofcourse doesn't help you WB. I would actually get in touch with my local tresorie public and ask, I would doubt that you need to pay up front any more. And ofcourse you could do a vague calculation using this years income and last years impots figures then you will be able to see if you need to or not. In fact I seem to remember them sending us a bill when the tiers payment was due.

And doing it like this shouldn't be much out, as from what I have heard on tv these figures will be about the same again next year,

Archived