Complete France Forum

Van Hire or Availability

Hi,  I'm going to London 14th May to collect a "Luton Van" Amount of items from storage to bring back to France (Ales).  I was wondering if it would be cheaper to hire a van in France and bring the stuff back myself or alternatively does anyone know of a Van coming back this way around that time in May?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

From what you say, it appears that you are going to make four single journeys. Firstly going to London to collect van and goods, return to France, return to the UK with van and then return to France. If this is the case hiring a van in France will mean just one round trip and surely this will be cheaper and far less travelling.

Baz

sorry...bad wording - I just need to bring stuff back from London around the 14th May - so I was wondering if it was best to hire someone to transport from UK to France, or hire a van myself in France and drive to the UK to collect.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

You could contact Darren -  mobile is 0044(0)7900613919 - 24 hours - he delivers car parts to France and usually has an empty van and could probably bring whatever stuff over, I think he is doing a trip soon so you might want to give him a call.
Deby

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Hi, I'm going to London 14th May to collect a "Luton Van" Amount of items from storage to bring back to France (Ales). I was wondering if it would be cheaper to hire a van in France and bring the st...[/quote]

Hi!

I was reading your post tonight and I can recommend a very good remover  chap to deal with any furniture, car etc from the Uk. He was much cheaper than other methods and firms including a rent a van and DIY. He does full and part loads. He is Alec Day and his number is 07831 121555 Good luck with it all!
Athene

I think if you are goning to do a self drive it may well be cheaper to rent a van in the U.K. Most come with unlimited mileage but here in France i have noticed that they only give you 50 kms per day free than you pay per km on top on the normal rental cost.

Rdk,not quite the case,first many van/wagon hire companies will not let the veichles outside the UK due to insurance and then the milage charge on top means it adds up to quite a bit.Tranny van is ok when it comes to break down road side recovery,but anything in between that and an hgv is hard to get break down cover for and lastly unlike the UK a 7.5tonner is an hgv.

Archived