Complete France Forum

This didn't get any response from the "Useful Links in France" thread so I am trying again in the regional thread:

I am going to Nice on holiday soon. I have heard that it is possible to take the train along the coast stopping off at intermediate points by buying a ticket for the furthest point of the journey, e.g. I could buy a ticket for Menton and stop off at Villefranche then get on a later train for Menton. Is this correct and does it require a special ticket or will a standard ticket suffice?

I'm also keen to take the Train des Pignes but don't fancy the full 6 hour plus trip to/from Digne-les-Bains. Does anyone have any views on whether Entrevaux or Puget-Théniers would be the better stopping-off point? 

• 1 month later...
Just back from Nice. We visited Menton by bus. Brilliant value at €1 each way and you can make one transfer (although we didn't). It was a long trip at 90 minutes but scenic. We also took the Train des Pignes. Even more scenic. We decided to go to Annot instead of Entrevaux or Puget-Théniers. Annot looks like a good place for hiking but we didn't have the correct gear this time.

Archived