Complete France Forum

Paris railway stations

Patmobile

I'm trying to work out an itinerary to get some overseas visitors arriving at CDG to my gite on the Picardy coast. The SNCF website says they have to change from one train arriving at Gare du Nord to another leaving Paris Nord.

Are these two names for the same place or is there some distance between them?

Grateful for your help, anyone,

Patrick

AFAIK they are the same place! Paris, Gare du Nord.

If you type in Paris when searching on SNCF website it will usually come back and ask you to clarify which Paris station you want. You could look at this and you will see all the stations in Paris are listed.

Gill

I'm pretty sure they mean the same place (Gare du Nord) as well - the name comes from the railway which terminated there, not where it is in Paris. If you play around on Google the Eurostar is variously described as going to Paris Nord and Gare du Nord, and in real life it only goes to one place.

I was there yesterday. I think - just a theory - they may be different names for different parts of the station. There's the 'grande lignes' and international part, and the part served by the suburban and RER/RATP services. They are two distinct stations, though adjoining.

I know that Paris Montparnasse, to and from which I often travel, is really three stations - Montparnasse, Pasteur and Vaugirard, known as Montparnasse 1, 2 and 3 respectively (and that doesn't take into account the metro stations). My ticket etc sometimes says Montparnasse 3, sometimes Vaugirard.

Archived