Complete France Forum

parachute display st.mere eglise

becoming very disheartened with the feedback on the commemerations. have a 12 year old son who is a total anorak on the second world war, and has looked forward for six years for this event to happen. does anyone know any region around st.mere eglise that is not restricted, and yet still has a view of the "drop". would really appreciate help on this one, thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON 31-May-04 AT 04:59 PM (BST)

Can't help Sassy, just wanted to commiserate! We came over on 8th June 1994 so just missed all the 50th celebrations. ALL of the villages in the area had bunting in the streets, international flags etc etc. Looked like we'd just missed one MASSIVE street paty. This year, unless it's all going up at the last minute, no one seems to be making much effort at all!!!

This year, thanks to all the wonderful terrorist organisations, the restrictions are horrendous and it is totally IMPOSSIBLE to get anywhere NEAR anything that is going on.

It's such a shame; not just us onlookers, but for many of the Vets themselves. We visited the Pegasus Bridge museum back in February and spoke to the permanent RAF guy who is based there. He told us of everything that will be going on during the 5th and 6th June and it sounded wonderful. He told us that every year almost all of the surviving Veterans from Major Howard's company made the trek back and enjoyed spending the day around the bridge and chatting to all the visitors in attendance. He was obviously expecting the same for this year as he told us to come along. NOT A CHANCE!! The whole area is cordoned off.

In "Ouest France" on Saturday there was a map of the area that is prohibited to traffic next Sunday and it is a massive area from Grandcamp Maisy in the west to Ouistreham in the east and way, way, inland, south of Bayeux.

We were discussing it at lunch today with friends and the general feeling was that perhaps most of the 17 Heads of State that are scheduled to come would be better to deflate their own egos and stay away. I know that the royal family if not particularly popular these days but many, many Veterans are staunch royalists and would rather do a march-past the Queen and Prince Charles than Tony Blair and George Bush any day. After all, the Queen was around then too - what does old Tone know of it all!

And the security must be costing an absolute FORTUNE. There are something like 9000 French troops, 1700 GI's, 4000 gendarmes, 2500 policiers, god knows how many helicopters, frigates and a couple of aircraft carriers already patrolling the area and this is all being stepped up dramatically from Tuesday onwards. In one way I am glad that the Veterans will be well protected. In another, terribly sad that they will feel that nothing much has changed since they were last here. And they are very unlikely to come into contact with the general public - 1000's of French who want to welcome them, and as for the Brits who have booked months ago to stay in the area - well they will be as disappointed as Sassy's son.

What sad times we live in.

we were hoping to watch the firework display at 11.15pm on the 5th but I now have my doubts about whether we could get anywhere near the coast to see this either. If ALL traffic is banned from 6am on the 6th, then it seems pointless to let all and sundry in until gone midnight the night before. How on earth could they recheck the whole area again in time for the ceremonies if it is going to be a free-for-all to watch the fireworks?

Sadly, VERY sadly, I think that although we are only 40 minutes away, we, like those who are interested in the UK will be relegated to watching it on TV.

Hey Sassy, small compensation, but les Fleurs de la Memoire (perhaps your son would like to join - I know you live in the American sector) have asked all members to place flowers on as many Allied graves as possible on the 7th June. Perhaps your son could help with that.

I have some donations for flowers (from generous LF members) and shall be buying as many as I can on Saturday, to place on as many Allied graves at the cemetry in Beny Bocage on Monday. We now have quite a little group of us going, including an English lady with a holiday home here who is also an ordained Anglican priest, so we may even have our own mini remembrance service!

Coco

Archived