Complete France Forum

Hi,

I am also thinking of going to live in Lille next - on my own!  I visit Lille often, it is a lovely city, has a free zoo and loads of things to see and do in and around the area.  The British Embassy has a British Community Association which you can join and meet up with other Brits in the area and although the weather is similar to ours, the people are friendly and its easily accessible from the UK.

I cannot say which is the best part to live in, as it all depends on how much you want to spend.  I have been going there about once a month to look at different suburbs - there is a good metro and bus service.  Although house prices are a bit cheaper than the UK it is not as cheap as some of the traditional country type places that people buy out in the middle of the France.  In fact, since Lille itself was the City of Culture 2004, an estate agent told me that prices in the city had risen quite considerably.  However, I shall keep looking until I find somewhere reasonable, which I am sure I will.

The best plan is to go to the Gare de Flandres which near the Gare de Europe and they have their bus office there - Transpole - and you can get a free map which shows you all the villages and suburbs in and around Lille, so if you see a house on the internet, you can to relate where about it is according to which part you want to live in.

Good luck anyway

Archived