Complete France Forum

we only have a holiday home (at the moment!!!!) and we were invited round round to some french friends to eat 'raclette' which was delicious! we then acquired a raclette a few days later and have brought it back to england but our problem is that (as far as we know) england doesn't have raclette and we can therefore not buy the cheese so we were hoping that someone could let us know of where to buy the cheese in england or if there is a good equivalent. thanks. 

At one time I think it could be bought in Waitrose, but this was at least 8 years ago. A good alternative is something a bit 'rubbery' like emmental. In fact even though we are in France, we sometimes use emmental for a change. The only thing is you can't leave it on for too long because it gets too grilled. Don't forget the cornichons!

You can order raclette cheese on the internet for UK delivery.  Can't remember who from but I was in the same situation and did an internet search and a couple of companies came up.  Alternatively get someone to bring you some over.  At the moment I've got orders for goats cheese and raclette cheese to take back on Monday but as I'm travelling by boat and train I might be a bit whiffy by the time I get to destination!

Emmental and gruyere certainly work well in the raclette machine, as does cheddar. Possibly the nearest widely available alternative in England, at least taste-wise, is the semi-soft French type cheese like Port Salut.

To me, it's the accompaniments that really make raclette worth having and I've never seen anything in England quite like the jambons, grissons etc that you get in France. Still, I suppose there's less difficulty in taking over cured meats and jars of cornichons than there is with smelly cheese.

I really would like to know what sort of raclette cheese is on sale in the UK.

Or is it like me seeing cheddar on sale in France and buying n'importer quoi, simply because it is available, because having anything is better than not having it.

Archived