Complete France Forum

where to have lunch in Falaise?

• 2 weeks later...
I can't remember the name of the restaurant, so this probably isn't a lot of help, but there is a large square just behind the hall where they have the market. On one of the sides are a bar on one corner (lousy service) and a rather touristy-looking restaurant on the left hand corner. The menu is also in English, which is normally enough to put me off, but as I had two starving kids with me that day, I tried it. The menu was HUGE, but even that paled in comparison to the size of the portions. The kids menu steak hache would have fed a hungry adult with ease and the pizza I ordered 9which wasn't like any pizza I have ever had before, being a bread base and gryere instead of mozarella etc.) came with a good pound of mince on it and fell off the sides of the plate in all directions. Sneaky looks around showed that other people were receiving similar sized portions; the people on the next table had ordered the fixed menu and, I suspect, regretted it. The seafood starter was enough to serve four! It wasn't expensive either. Place has large front restaurant area with a long bar, plus a smaller room behind on the left hand side that overlooks a side street.

Lunch date was last Friday - we headed off for La Fine Fourchette and as it started to rain, stopped off and checked out several other possibilities on the way. Strangely enough, I think we ate in exactly the place you describe, Battypuss. The food was excellent... but as two of us were driving and one was teetotal, we just ordered a bottle of cider... and it cost €11. Apart from that, we were impressed.

Archived