Complete France Forum

Hi , we have all read stories of these so called artisans and proffessionals who are a disgrace . We are not allowed to name or shame them which seems a pity as other people will get caught out as well . However a new web site called http://afrenchdream.org/ will feature stories of this nature provided there are a least two complainants and the issues are verifiable. This site is only for Brittany. An agent will come and photograph all works and get written proofs before any web coverage begins . This is a free service.

I am sure you know what you are doing, but from my experience you could be treading rather dangerously with this project in legal terms.

We don't mind you linking to the site as long as it is strictly a non-commercial, non-profit making venture, but that in no way implies that the Living France discussion forum (or, I am sure, the magazine and its publishers) officially endorses your actions.

What about the problems of being sued by the featured artisans and litigation etc. I wouldn't like to be the people involved in doing these stories for fear of all sorts of legal action. None of us likes cowboys operating here,but this may endanger all british registered artisans doing their best to earn a living here in Brittany.

I totally agree with Bill & Val, they will need to have a great legal team at their disposal to fight off any possible litigation.

I hate the cowboys from any nationality that work here but the bottom line to avoid bad workmen, has to be word of mouth or reccommendation and of course, lots of luck !

[quote]I am sure you know what you are doing, but from my experience you could be treading rather dangerously with this project in legal terms. We don't mind you linking to the site as long as it is strictl...[/quote]

**I am sure you know what you are doing, but from my experience you could be treading rather dangerously with this project in legal terms.

We don't mind you linking to the site as long as it is strictly a non-commercial, non-profit making venture, but that in no way implies that the Living France discussion forum (or, I am sure, the magazine and its publishers) officially endorses your actions.**

LOL! Oh dear! UNDERstatement of the year, I think, Will. Phew!

Thanks for your comments .

However we are disgusted that so called French artisans can produce so much bad work and go unpunished . We have so far got another four complaints to investigate and photograph about one particular company before additional publishing .

With regard to a legal team and so forth this web site is owned exclusively by a UK LTD company whose sole aim is to expose poor and dangerous building works in the Brittany area . Should anybody take offence and try any form of legal attack we will run with it for a while then dump the LTD company at a total cost to us of 1 pence .  It would be far cheaper for the companies to get their free advertising removed by returning to their dissatisfied customer base and sorting out the problems / finishing the works etc .

We currently have two other companies with one complaint against each :-

1) An ex school teacher from the North of England who is now a builder !

2) A registered French building company , mainly carpentry who has an English wife .

One more complaint about either of the above and our research team goes into action .......

(Post edited by moderators under forum code of conduct rules)

Can I just ask if you personally, have you been one of the "victims" here? I don't like bad workmanship and artisans who won't come back and put things right,something we pride ourselves on doing if a problem should crop up and I just wonder why this window company who advertise all over Brittany especially in les grandes surfaces are doing work like this, was it subcontracted out by them and they can't get the people back I wonder. If you have been the victim of this company, isn't there a better way to get it sorted rather than start up something that could cause a lot of trouble for many many people here.After all, we have only heard one side of the argument via this website you mention.

Nice idea, but one of the cases you quote is not that severe, is it? 6 months is nothing in French terms! What right of reply has the business you are condemning got?

From a legalese viewpoint, I doubt if you can hide behind a UK Ltd Co - as directors, you will have personal liability for anything proven to be libellous and libel knows no borders.

You should also consider the difference between "pain" and "pane", although I can see where you are coming from...

As a UK Ltd company I’m sure you are aware of the nature of the UK law on libel. I believe that the European Court has found UK Libel Law practice “illegal" though I am unaware of it having been changed yet. Basically, (my unqualified impression is that) UK libel law works more on the “guilty until proved innocent – i.e. You are guilty of the libel until you can prove that your comments are not guilty.

I have also looked at the site and getting an artisan to do anything in 7 months is pretty good going. When undertaking repair works yourself you need to be very careful about making sure you have given the contractor “every opportunity” and to be honest, living in another country is not a good excuse for limited access. Charging a contractor for your own travel costs because you decided to do the repair works and live overseas could prove difficult if the case came to court.

But that’s just my opinion and others will probably have different opinions.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be some confusion . Seven months was not the lead in time for the project it is the amount of time since the job was started. That is seven months of windows which were not fitted properly , have gaps around  and leak every time it rains .........which is quite often  in Brittany !!

The window company do not need access to repair the appalling work they have done , all of the waterproofing , hole filling , sealing and masticing can be done from the outside which of course means holiday home or not ..........no access is required .....

• 1 month later...

Latest Update.........A company director has now been out and looked at our window installation. He has agreed that every door and window have been fitted incorrectly and will need to be installed again. He has also agreed to refund five ferry crossings, the time I lost at work in the UK , the cost of remedial works I had to undertake, the costs of making the property watertight and the cost of replacing the damaged flooring. All of this has been agreed through our insurance company as we were covered for bad workmanship by artisans.

For seven months after this installation the company refused to come and sort out the problems despite the fact that I have never paid them ( not even a euro) and it goes to show that digging your heels in and promoting the company in a bad light with websites and local advertising gets results .

Mr and Mrs B who also had a problem with the company also had satisfactory progress with their case at the same meeting.

thanks

Archived