Complete France Forum

Battlefields Memorials and Cemeteries

I am from Poppy Travel the travel arm of the Royal British Legion, the leading British ex services charity and de facto custodians of national Remembrance.  During the two world wars 575,000 Commonwealth servicemen and women were killed in France and buried or commemorated there out of the 3 million plus who served there. 

The Royal British Legion is keen to support travellers who wish to make independent visits to cemeteries memorials and battlefields in France. We do run guided tours from the UK, but I am NOT on this forum to promote this service. Please contact me via a private message if you would like any help:-

-  Finding a grave or a memorial.

-  Advice about accommodation and itineraries.

-  Understanding what happened and why, or what books to read or resources to use. 

I can't guarantee to be able to answer every query, but I'll try to point you in the right direction.

It would be interesting to know where one can buy the "poppy crosses" and wreaths in the UK or in France, in case one wants to take one to a grave/cemetery/memorial.  Sometimes you see the poppy crosses for sale (Thiepval visitor centre, and Beaucourt station, both in the Albert area, spring to mind), but outside November-time in the UK I wouldn't know where to find them.

Angela

I'm sure Poppy Travel (please give us a name!) will give you more info, but I get mine by calling

0162 2717172

They send by post and the service is very efficient. It is year-round.

They don't charge as such, one sends an appropriate donation, but they will tell you how much it costs to produce an item to guide you.

The work of the British Legion can't be praised too much.

There is also the web site of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission which contains the details of all the British War dead, including civilians, from the conflicts of the 20th century.

It's an excellent resource for people who have lost relatives in either of the major wars www.cwgc.org it's easy to navigate and if you have lost a relative, you can download a very tasteful certificate with their details on it.

To clarify - the CWGC site will give you details of every soldier, sailor and airman who died in WW1 or since, plus civilians from WW2, with details of where they are buried or commemorated and often a few personal details and addresses, names of parents. I don't think any other countries have done that.

There is also a reference work, Soldiers Died in the Great War, which is available in print (in the Imperial War Museum Reading Room) or on CD-ROM. This gives details of soldiers only, from 1914 to 1922. I have the CD-ROM, but it only works on PCs.

Archived