Complete France Forum

France to UK bank transfer

martyc

I need help and advice. I have a bank account with Banque popular centre atlantique (BPCA) I need to transfer money from that account back to the UK. My french is totally rubbish, (hangs head in shame) I tried to set up on line banking and have no idea what happened,; even with the pages translated it made no sense. I need telephone help and I am happy to pay you for you time, I need to know can I set up internet banking as a UK citizen and never been a french one, and can I speak to someone in the bank that speaks english or will they speak to whoever will help. I know I sound pathetic and that is how I feel, my dreams are shot but I need the cash back. Anyone?

PS, I did think I had posted on this forum before, but I have not looking at the post count. So if it helps this is me. I am a 57 year old UK firefighter that saw france as the place to be, so some five years ago I bought 1800 sq metres of land in the correze and I was to build a house. The building prices went up House prices went down and my pension was reduced because I had a heart attack. Short version is I can no longer afford to move as my income is not as good as I expected. Life goes on; just not in France.

Martin

Hi Martyc. Sorry to hear about your problems and as there hasn't been a stampede to help you, I'll see what I can do.

Are you in the UK at the moment, or in France?

Are you hoping to transfer money but keep the French account open, or do you want to close the account?

Are you hoping to accomplish what you want to do (transfer money back to the UK) by speaking to the bank by phone?

Sorry for all the questions, but here's why I'm asking:

If you're in France, you might be better aiming to get hold of someone local who speaks French to go to the bank with you and have a chat with them face-to-face to make the arrangements you want.

If you're in the UK, I'd very strongly recommend that (unless you need the money very fast) you write to the bank with your request, and send it recorded delivery, because it will then be on record and clear. It's an odd thing about France, but it seems you can't do very much at all without writing a letter to someone about it. You might as well start by doing that, as it will be simpler and more straightforward, as long as time isn't so vital that you need the money tomorrow.

Also, if you want to close your account, there are standard letters that you can easily get from the internet that help with the form of words, etc.

I can give you a hand with some of the above or point you in the right direction, if you're stuck.

I'll dig out one of my transfer forms, may take a day or two though, as I'm not sure where they are at the moment and then copy exactly what it says. I only ever transfer from France to the UK and have been doing so for years.

I also, at the recommendation of posters on here, use Currency Fair. I transfer from my french account to my account with Currency Fair and then see what rates they are offering and then get the money transfered into my UK account. So far I have not had better rates with any other FX company and my bank is very poor in comparison.

I am in the UK and not in that much of a hurry. My money has been in the French account for five years and not getting any interest, at least 2% is more than nothing. I intend to keep the account open as I own land that I need to sell, so I will be in the same position later if the land sells.Thank you for your answer.

Martin

Knowing that you are UK-based, that your French is not good and this is going to be a one-off exchange transfer - at least for the time being - I would recommend you follow Idun's advice and sign up with Currency Fair. They will help you all along the way in your own language.

Plus their charges are very reasonable. No French Bank, nor English IMO, is going to be able to match them for value for money re charges and exchange rate.

Sue

Thanks Suin56, they look quite good but the same as other currency transfer companies, they do not accept money other than a bank transfer. I can't get internet banking set up because I do not understand what my bank site is telling me. It asks what department I was born in, so I am not sure if it will let a uk resident set it up. I need someone to ask the bank to set it up for me. As I said before if anyone on this forum knows a translator I can contact I do not mind paying for a service.

Martin

[quote user="NormanH"]As far as the department us concerned you just enter 99

That is the code for any one not born in France.

Which bank are you using?

[/quote]

Thanks for that I will try again. The bank is popular centre atlantique.

I've had a quick google for you.

BTW, if you need to google, the bank's name is POPULAIRE, don't know if the spelling makes a difference but it might help with your search.

Like my bank, you will need an identifiant, which might be a number and, if the account is in joint names, you will probably find that you have an identifiant each.

Then you will need a code for accessing your account.  I had to ring up for mine or, I am pretty sure, you could request the code in writing.

IMHO, it might be difficult for someone else to do this for you as banks are now notoriously security conscious (probably a good thing!) and will likely as not refuse to speak to anyone other than the account holder. 

I suspect that the principles for all on-line banking are the same so, if it helps you at all with distinguishing the wood from the trees, the identifiant is a 10-figure number and the access code is a 6-figure number.

It is good that you aren't in a hurry as you can probably write to the bank for these numbers (chiffres) as you might find French numbers (said very rapidly and in pairs [:-))]) might be quite difficult to get right. 

EDIT:  having had another look at the site, here is the phone number for ringing your bank from abroad:  0033 141 86 24 24.  Perhaps you could ring, or someone do it on your behalf ,and you could request an English-speaking person to call you back?

Thanks for the reply, I miss typed the bank name in my post, a bit of lazy fingers going on. I went through the on line banking process using 99 as my postcode and it went through this time. It says I must wait for a decision, so with a bit of luck I will get access and that will be sorted. I rang my bank in the UK and asked if I could just pay in a cheque from my french bank account, they said yes, it would cost £10 pus some other bank charges, so as a last resort I could do that. Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

Martin

As I said, I would look on my transfer forms and they have changed over the years.

Beneficaire: Nom /Raison Sociale    = Payee

and you will need  the        IBAN and BIC numbers

There is often another heading

Information sur le Virement  --     a virement is a transfer

Catagorie:     Eurovirement SEPA

Montant  = amount

Motif Virement = the reason why you are making this transfer

Ref Benficiare  = Payees reference,

Ref Emetteur  =  Your reference number  which you would need if you were transferring to an FX company

With my bank when paying on line a virement vers un tiers ( a transfer to a third party needs setting up in advance).

However, my bank will not allow more than about 5000 or 6000euros per transfer on line. Any more and they require it to be done with a form that has to be handed into or posted to the branch. IF you ask, they may allow you to send a fax to them.

I would ask them to send you a few transfer forms out and IF they will accept a fax.

Archived