Complete France Forum

Limousin or Aveyron?

I'm looking to plough some money into a holiday home in one of the two regions above. Quick question - is the Limousin still the cheapest region in France? Eventually, I'd like to move out there and 'super-commute'.

is there anyone around who lives in either area?

Limousin. Been here 4 years and loved every minute. Southern Creuse is hilly and visitors to our campsite have said that it's like : A cross between Dorset and the Peak District", Like parts of Canada with addd sun", "Like the Lake District without the crowds" and " Just like our part of Sussex but without the traffic". In truth it's difficult to make comparisons suffice it to say that in the past 18 months, 19 of our visitors have bought property here, 6 of whom have moved here permanently. The prices HAVE risen but careful searching can still find a bargain. One lot of visitors who are here at the moment, signed yesterday for their large "Maison de Maitre" with all services, two large barns and an acre of land near one of our large lakes half an hour away from us to live in permanently.(Sorry that makes 7 now).

It would be millions in the UK.

BQF Another vote for the Limousin here.

In 2001 we first looked at where we could afford, not many area to be honest. Then made a trip that Summer, just happened to come to the Limousin first, and we loved it from the outset.

We looked elsewhere but nowhere  seemed the same (stupid statement i know).

Bought a barn to do up (ten year plan) and paid just shy of £20k for a rebuilt rerooved barn (after a storm in the late 90's) We will eventually have a 4 bed home for less than £100k with most of the work done by ourselves out of choice.

It is not an investment property, it is not to be rented out at all and when we retire in 10 yrs we will move out there and enjoy life. In the meantime we actually enjoy spending a fortnight holidaying there and doing a few hours graft each day! Went on a 'normal' holiday this summer to the Charente and really regretted not taking the barn key as I was at a loosed end and the kids (10 and 7, going on 17!!) felt the same..." Oar Dad, can't we go and catch lizards and make mud cement at our barn"

Go out there and simply look round the place, you'll need a few trips or at least a fortnight. The people are friendly, the estate agents we met were all superb and spent many hours with us, showing us round numerous properties miles apart.

I liken it to the Yorkshire Dales as it would have been 400 years ago, with trees everywhere and few people, and everyone loves the Dales.

Property prices are still quite fluid here in the Centre of France - our village, which borders Creuse, Cher and Allier and has seven houses in total, has had two houses put on the market recently and one sold immediately to an english couple - the other is ludicrously priced and will be here for ages yet!   This area is still relatively cheap (hence the fact that we live here) but the peace, tranquility and the wonderfully friendly locals make it worthwhile being somewhat isolated.

• 4 weeks later...
I vote for the Limousin especially department 23 (La Creuse), although other departments outside of the Limousin are cheap for example 36 (Indre) and 15 (Cantal), but you can't beat the Creuse IMO.

There’s a new website about living in the Creuse called www.pontnoir.com. I hope this isn't considered advertising but informative - there's no property (or anything else) for sale on the site.

<<<Saying Limousin is like saying the Midlands or the South East - it's too generalised.   There are three departments in Limousin - and each one is as different from the other as Surrey is from Sussex and Kent.>>>

So are Surrey, Kent and Sussex different then? Ah thowt the' were all in 't soft south?

Alcazar:

Yes, Alcazar, I think that they are slightly different.  As Surrey does not suffer from coastal erosion, we could deduce that Kent and Sussex might be softer than Surrey!  And as La Crueuse does not suffer from coastal erosion so we could deduce that it must be like Surrey?