Complete France Forum

help and information

Is there anybody that comes to britain or is coming to britain that would be able to come and talk to us about how hard  or easy it is to  move to france etc etc? And also be able to help us out with the technical difficulties involved, we are finding it difficult to get very much information on moving etc! The forum is very good but i think it would be better to talk face to face with some body thats done it ! Any help would be greatly received thanks   Wildside  P.S we are near Radstock somerset.

What are the problems wildside?

Perhaps if you list them, folks on here may be able to help.

We had already bought this place (as a holiday home) before we moved over so we just moved stuff over a bit at a time and when we had sold up just got a man with a van (thanks Buster!) to do the rest.

If you havent got as far as buying, I would say rent first in your favourite area to see if you really can settle in France before going the whole hog!

best wishes........helen

we're not very far from you (near Trowbridge) and have bought our place and are moving in early January. OK so we've not got that much further in the process but feel free to contact us - and you may well get an invite to the leaving party

Sometimes it helps to discuss things thoroughly with people who are in the same position so you can evaluate your own thoughts on particular aspects, rather than take the word of those who've already done it and found it good/bad

PM me if you want to talk!

A couple of things to consider when taking advice are:

I’m sure talking so somebody about their experiences will be helpful but it represents only the issues and challenges those people came across – which will almost certainly be at least in part different to those you will find.

Different people react differently to different situations so everybody will have a different slant on things. A particular experience will be great fun for some people but a complete nightmare for others.

Please do not take my comments as “don’t talk to people” and I’m sure people you talk to will relate their experiences in a fair and balanced way. However I would recommend you take input from as many different people as possible and a forum is an ideal way to collect such information and experiences. From seeing many topics on this forum you can often see a “I found …” followed by “Round us its very different …”, etc. – they are all correct.

When I moved out (and now live in France) I also found it difficult to get accurate information. I used a couple of these books you can get. In those found major inaccuracies (possibly as rules, etc. change or vary across France).

I would be very happy to answer any questions you may have (post, PM or e-mail me). Posting is good as others can share, contradict, etc.

Archived