Complete France Forum

Barclaycard and addresses

Chrissie

Not exactly French finance, but has anyone else had a letter from Barclaycard saying they will no longer accept someone with a French address and will close the account unless a UK address is provided?  And will other credit cards follow suit?[:(]

Chrissie (81)

Yes and no. My OH has a B/C and he has not received such a letter; I have a B/C mastercard and have received said letter. The only difference between the cards is that he uses his a couple of times a year and I have not used mine for years and years. So I reckon they are culling the non-users - but I could be wrong.

No idea about other cards; we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

Sue

We've had a letter from Natiowide (spit) telling us that our credit cards will be cancelled if we don't use them within the next month. Haven't used them in ages so good riddance.

No question regarding the address. So as Sue says probably a cull.

Hubby's letter said something along the lines of will only support non-UK addresses for a certain length of time and they are closing his ... so same idea, different story.  I have no idea if he still uses it or not, but most likely not.

I got rid of my Barclaycard long before I left the UK - they caused me a problem at a supermarket once (new card had not arrived) and so I told them what I thought of their service, took great pleasure in cutting it up after I'd closed the account, and have never missed it.

We had a letter like that this week and had a worrying moment as we use our Barclaycards all the time. It turned out to be a second card that OH hadn't used for years, so I think the theory about unused cards is right. I hope so, anyway.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Haven't used them in ages so good riddance.[/quote]

You never know what's around the corner so for the sake of buying half a tank full of fuel for the car or paying for the weeks shopping do you really want to throw away credit cards which you can never ever replace ?

We had the same letter. I rang the help line and was told that as I had not used the Mastercard for some time, they were taking it away from me, no hardship. I asked about the Barclaycard which we do use. The help line said that there were no plans to take that one away, though I don't have much confidence in that. I understand that any family UK address will do as a back up.

Archived