Complete France Forum

weather ?

Yes, Aquitaine is on orange alert this afternoon for tempete - up to 120km/h winds. Reports:

[url=http://www.meteoconsult.fr/ter/france/sommaire_france.php?langue=fr&type_donnee=vent]here[/url]

[url=http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/france/faits-divers/0,,3393116,00-alerte-aux-vents-violents-sur-ouest-.html]and here[/url]

yes - same here; think i spoke too soon - just about to go into 'batten down the hatches mode' - just seen my neighbour filling up containers with water a few moments ago and closing his place down, so i guess for newbies like me, just keep a keen eye on the neighbours and follow suit ....

well it was a non-starter here in the end !    I went into full 'drama queen' mode.    OH thought it was hilarious when i told him about neighbour collecting water etc, as it appears after i rushed inside to collect buckets to do the same, OH saw farmer strolling across road to water his pigs - but decided not to tell me at time but let me carry on like a dement !

Ah well, can't be too careful now can you !!!!!!!!!!!!

I always shut all the shutters if we have a storm, even during the day. In spite of the way they fix normally when open, we have had them come undone on a few occassions and have had damaged shutters. So for me battening down the hatches is a good idea.

I was just wondering why you thought that this bloke was collecting water? and why you should?

Ahh, londoneye, that made me LOL, I can just imagine me doing the same thing but at TU says, why would you?  My OH would also not point out the real reason, he would just let me run around. 

I hate real windy days here, we are surrounded by trees and for some reason it worries me, I don't really think they would fall on the house but I lie awake when it's blowing a gale at night (which is quite often).  We are moving soon and whilst we have more trees where we are going they are much further from the house, thank goodness.

I also shut the shutters, we've had some damaged in high winds, it also gives that feeling of being snug inside whilst the storm rages!

[quote user="londoneye"]

hi

a friend of mine has called me to say there has been a severe weather warning issued for parts of limousin (storms) but i cant find anything iffy on any of the weather forecasts - has anyone heard anything, or has she gone mad ?

[/quote]

Londoneye, you may remember my jokey comment to your OP, well it bit me in the foot. I've just finished putting the roof back on the Donkey Shed after it decided to go 'walk-about'.

I'll never joke about the weather again.........................[:D][:D][:D]

oh dear - sorry about that; next time you will be as paranoid as I!    i once had the lovely experience of being on hols in antigua during a hurricaine and it has made me a little paranoid !

As for the water, believe it or not after the last two storms here we lost both electric and water.    Perhaps we are stupid but we still can't figure out why that is; i didn't even mention the fact that you couldn't move in our house for a week after because of all the wood i had brought in as an emergency measure .... and yes the woodpile is AT LEAST 10 metres from the house and would, i am sure, have been totally inaccessible for weeks.

What was i thinking of !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry I have also run around like a vache folle topping every last thing up with water a couple of times, but not before or during a storm. Signs of the water going off have been enough to send me it to a frantic 'fill' mode as I have been caught out several times over the years. [:)]