Complete France Forum

virements in euros to another European country

mint

Anyone know whether there are limits to how much you can transfer at any one time, generally speaking and allowing for differences between banks?

I have tried to get the info from the Banque Postale site.  It tells me how to do it, what info I need, how long it takes, etc etc etc, every last detail except the one piece of info I need, that is, the amount[:'(]  No surprises there then.................

I had terrible problems with my french banque when I tried to transfer money and even my conseillere couldn't tell me what the problem was and the siege couldn't tell her either, disgraceful, but not unexpected. It was the amount, I eventually found out. I could do it via the branch, but not on line.

No idea if it would be the same with the Banque Postale, it could well be. Let's fact it, we can transfer big amounts of money ie funds from a house sale, it is the 'where' we can do it, that maybe the problem.

Have you gone into your local post office and asked them if they can find out. Hopefully they can.

[quote user="mint"]Anyone know whether there are limits to how much you can transfer at any one time, generally speaking and allowing for differences between banks?

I have tried to get the info from the Banque Postale site.

[/quote]

Online Banque Pop (ours anyway) is 15 000€ per day but la Banque Postale is 3 000€ per day. The PO used to be more but they reduced the amount last year I believe. The blurb at the time said it was ' to give the client a better experience' - of what I never discovered; it annoyed me intensely, which is why we don't use the Post Office as our main account.

Sue

Thanks everybody and particular thanks to Sue.

3000 it is then, just need to do 3000 everyday until I have emptied the account!

No, only joking, will try 3000 first and see what happens.

Our notaire, when he gave us the attestation for the sale of the house, said guard it (the paper) well; it's your proof that the money has come from the sale of the house.

I am going to be finishing with the Banque Postale soon in any case.  Have been thinking of Boursarama and/or Fortuneo and not bothering with one with a High St presence as all my experiences with High St banks in France have been traumatic and costly.

With CA you have your own limits set on your account. Mine are quite low but I know other people who are also with CA who have far higher limits. I believe you can ask for them to be increased.

Also bear in mind it might not be a daily limit.

Why not use a forex company?

Thanks, ET.

I am using a forex co.  Sending money from UK bank to French one is a piece of cake.

But, the other way round?  Less said the better.

As you know, my French is pretty OK with most things but my computing nous is pathetic.

Tried looking at the international transfers on line and all I get is an invitation to get a certicode.  Now I'm perfectly willing to get a blasted certicode but I can't see where I can order one and I can't seem to get a place to write a request.

Perhaps the site is not doing normal things at this time of night...............gggrrrrgggghhhhhh

OK, my mind is now made-up.  I'm going to be closing my account with Banque Postale and I'm off to another bank.  An on-line one because, if I have to see another bank official, I'm going to be killing them with the nearest weapon to hand.

[quote user="mint"]I am using a forex co.  Sending money from UK bank to French one is a piece of cake.

But, the other way round?  Less said the better.[/quote]

You can use online companies like currencyfair to send money either way to your accounts or to pay a third party.

[quote user="mint"]

OK, my mind is now made-up.  I'm going to be closing my account with Banque Postale and I'm off to another bank. 

[/quote]

As the basic, no-frills current account with Banq Postale costs about 4€50 a year (or so) my advice would be to please keep it open until you have opened and used a new account elsewhere for a while. Closing the PO account before you are happy that the new one fulfills all your requirements might be inviting disaster.

Sue

sunin56, I think that mint uses currency fair.

It isn't using currency fair or any other forex company that is the problem really, when transferring from a french bank. I have had two lots of problems.

My first was, that once I started trying to use online transfers, then for the very first transfer my bank wanted the details of my payee in place on the account for several working days prior to my making a transfer. Their system would not just let me input the details and transfer immediately. They may well allow it now, but I dare not try and plan ahead.  Future payments go through smoothly.

And the second problem was that they did not mention the limit I could transfer. And in fact no one knew. My conseillere couldn't understand why my transfer hadn't gone through. The siege sociale didn't seem to know either and yet it was they who had put a limit on it. I believe that it is now mentioned on their web site or maybe when I am trying to transfer. At the time, it caused me much distress as I had booked my transfer into a different forex company at a fixed rate and no way of getting the money to them. Prior to using online banking, I'd simply fax a copy of my transfer form to my conseillere and she would put it through, for any amount, and if it were to be a large amount, then I would warn her in advance. And that is what I had to do when I had problems with an online transfer, delaying the transfer getting to the forex company in question by a few days....... and that is not what I had agreed with them.

mint, once my payee is set up on my french account, then I have to use a security doofer that my bank sent me, to put the security number in before I can transfer. I have to put my french carte bancaire into this thing and my pin number and then the secure code number pops up.

If I do my transfer online early morning, it can be very quick. A couple of occasions the money has been in my currency fair account that afternoon and in my UK bank that day. Usually it is next day and rarely the day after that.

I used to use HiFx and as I recall, I gave them my bank details and instructed them what I wanted to happen and they debited the money directly, rather than me having to send it to them. But this was back in the dark ages and banking practices seem to have changed a lot lately so maybe you can't do it that way any more.

CA have recently sent out an email to say that there will be a limit of 2500 per transfer (online) to an external account and a limit of 5000 per day. Additionally, the set-up of a new transfer using an IBAN will take 48 hours. These changes will take place from 2nd September. Not sure whether this is a local restriction (i.e. just CA Normandie) or more widespread

Sue, I have no probs paying from my Nationwide UK account into CF and buying euros and sending those euros to the Banque Postale acccount.

But I don't know how to instruct the BP to pay euros into my CF account to return to the Nationwide one. At least I can't see how to do it on-line.

Could be just me not understanding the mechanics?

The notaire offered to pay all the funds into the CF account but I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the money so I declined.

Now I think to repatriate some of the funds back to the UK and perhaps change some back to euros when the pound goes up (if it does).

There are a few bob involved so it would so help me if I could do it on-line as otherwise I'd have to keep driving into town several times (because of the limits) for the post office.

[quote user="mint"]

But I don't know how to instruct the BP to pay euros into my CF account to return to the Nationwide one. At least I can't see how to do it on-line.

Could be just me not understanding the mechanics? [/quote]

No I don't think it's you not understanding. To add a beneficiary, ie CFair, it seems you need to apply to your PO conseiller and ask to be able to use a certicode. Once you are signed up then you can add all the details of the new beneficiary online and the details of the payment to be made and the PO then sends a code via SMS to your mobile, you input the code online and, theoretically, bob's your uncle and the payment is sent.

Before new beneficiaries could only be added by your financial centre, which involved filling in a form, posting it off, waiting about 10 days for authorisation then, lo and behold, the new beneficiary would appear in the drop down list of your beneficiaries next time you logged in.

This new way must be an improvement.

Sue

Thanks, Sue, phew someone in the know![:D]

Still what a faff!  Not exactly like setting everything up on line like a normal, sensible bank, send some money and it's all there for you to see the next working day, is it?

I've just had another idea.................wonder if I could pay CF via my Paypal account?  After all, I am told I have limitless credit there?[:D] 

Archived