Complete France Forum

Le Figaro online in English

While on the subject of French newspapers, I'd be grateful for some guidance.

I've asked neighbours and others about the difference between the various dailies in France. I'm looking for something liberal, à la Guardian. My questions often met with a shrug. The two people who did commit themselves gave me contradictory answers. Having just quickly scanned Le Figaro, it seems a bit gauchiste for my tastes, though still worth reading.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[quote user="Polycarpe"]

While on the subject of French newspapers, I'd be grateful for some guidance.

I've asked neighbours and others about the difference between the various dailies in France. I'm looking for something liberal, à la Guardian. My questions often met with a shrug. The two people who did commit themselves gave me contradictory answers. Having just quickly scanned Le Figaro, it seems a bit gauchiste for my tastes, though still worth reading.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[/quote]

Le Figaro is considered rather right-wing, a bit like the Telegraph!

Left-wing paper: Libération

Good for a laugh in Private Eye style: Le Canard Enchaîné, but it takes a while to get to know who's called what...

Clair, Thank you for the helpful distinction. I shall look out for Libération.

When I said that I found Le Figaro "gauchiste", I think I was thinking "gauliste" when I actually meant right-wing. I'm always confusing my droit and my gauche which makes for some explosive journeys when I'm navigating.

Best wishes.